Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Bowhunting from a tripod? >

Bowhunting from a tripod?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bowhunting from a tripod?

Old 09-26-2006, 09:29 PM
Fork Horn

Default Bowhunting from a tripod?

I went and scouted a new place to hunt today and hung 1 lock-on stand, but over 80% of this place is overgrown fields that are kinda thick in some places but all of it is 4 feet tall approxiamately. There are hardly any decent trees to hang a stand on in a decent funnel. I've never had or used a tripod. While I know people use them for rifle hunting alot, I don't know anyone who uses one for bowhunting.

The thing is, the stand wont be put up and left up. It would likely be moved every couple of weeks as I need it. So, should I even consider hunting out of a tripod? Its my last resort in this situation because it so thick I really cant even see good with a blind, its to thick. Also, it looks like all the tripods are only 10'-13'. I would need one with a removable top bar and would probably use mesh netting around it to somewhat conseal me.

Any suggestions?
Old 09-26-2006, 10:46 PM

Default RE: Bowhunting from a tripod?

I would not go with the mesh netting. I have yet to see a deer that could not figure that one out. I would brush it with saplings that you cut from around the area. I wire them to the steps and up each leg. Have them stick up far enough so that you are partially hid but can see/ shoot over.
Old 09-27-2006, 05:09 AM
Boone & Crockett

I just set one up and will use it for the first time this year. Similar situation as you. Perfect funnel area whith no tree around for a stand. I found a big batch of tall thickets that I lieterally assembled the tripod in. I stood it up and trimmed just enough for me to stand and shoot. Other than 2 little peep holes, there's no way to notice the thing even there. Find a place with good backdrop and cover and it'll be fine.
Old 09-27-2006, 06:03 AM

I know there are tripods that are 15' to the floor. I don't think there are any made that are higher than that. But I am not so sure about taking that top rail down. I have see guys hunting out of them and they left the top rail in place. I would also have to think of it from a safety standpoint.

Good Hunting

God Bless

Old 09-27-2006, 12:55 PM

i have used one for the past three years and had no problems with them i kinda like them i just get them back off the trail and into some cover to where you have some back cover mabey even a low haninging tree limb and all of mine are 10' tall i hope this helps
Old 09-28-2006, 07:00 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the replies. I looked at some today, think Im gonna get one and set it up. Even if it dont work for close range bowhunting, I can use if for muzzeloading/rifle too.