Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 New lessons learned >

New lessons learned

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

New lessons learned

Old 09-26-2006, 03:16 PM

Default New lessons learned

Well I decided I would post this thinking it would maybe be of help to others. Last night I went out to a new property I have permission to hunt. I have hunted this in the past but only firarms. So I had to get permission to bowhunt and I got it no problem. I new where there had been a heavy scrape line from years before so I decided to go to that relative area. Armed with my lil can doe bleat and a grunt tube I settled in and went to work. I would bleat a little and then reply with a couple grunts. I wound up waking up a small buck from his bed and proceeded to stalk him. I finnally got into bow range and he winded me and proceeded to run away. Well I went back to my spot and called a little more. I turned to my right and my heart started pumping. There was a 3-4 year old buck about 50 yards from me that was heading my way. I waited and waited and he didnt want to come from the thick stuff and another young buck came out. Now I started to procratinate thinking " its still early in the season" but then I would think" might as well shoot him hes in range. So this went on as he got into bow range. So I just decided to draw on him all the while thinking I shouldnt. I had a easy shot opportunity at 15 yards but decided to wait I dont know why I did but then I was like "I had better shoot" so I did regarless of the fact that there were branches in the way so I arrow went flipping as it hit some branches and the buck ran off a ways so I grunted to him and he came back. Smarter this time as he came from downwind so he smelled me and that was that. I think I wound up scaring away the larger buck beacuse of the racket. So I was like whatever. Then three mins later three does came out and I knew that this deer was too far but I shot anyway. I wound up knicking her way way low it didnt do anything to her so she hopped off. I now am very glad I missed that buck and the doe and I guess this is a long way of telling you the lessons I learned but here they are. 1. Never never never shoot farther than your comfortable shooting range.2. Never shoot at a deer that you are unsure of as far as whether you want to shoot it or not.3. Never trust the wind, scent control and scents. Your scent can always be picked up.4 Always be paitient with the older deer as the younger ones will probably come first so be paitient. And number 5. never never shoot when ther is brush is the way.I have so far learned all of these if not more this season in just the 3 times I have been out this year. I am not in the least upset that I missed those deer but I am extremly upset that I even attemped those shots. A good sportsman would have never taken those shots. So I hope you guys can learn from my mistakes as there are many. Team 13, sorry I let you down but at this new property I saw 3 different bucks withing 30 mins so there is a good chance I will be able to help out with our teams scoring. Thanks for lissening to a guy who learns everything the hard way.
Old 09-26-2006, 03:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New lessons learned

Glad you learned some lessons. However those all sound like things that mostbow hunters would know. It does take a man to admit their mistakes. Good luck and I hope you get another opportunityat abuck of your liking.
Old 09-26-2006, 03:31 PM
Typical Buck

I understand that there are many people here new to bowhunting as well as many well seasoned veterans. However, call me crazy on this one but shouldn't you know these things before you step in the woods? I mean somethings are obviously not common knowledge but many things are. I'm not trying to stir up a hive of bees but as I was reading this forum I got a little irritated. Mainly with these 2 comments "So I just decided to draw on him all the while thinking I shouldnt. I had a easy shot opportunity at 15 yards but decided to wait I dont know why I did but then I was like "I had better shoot" so I did regarless of the fact that there were branches in the way so I arrow went flipping as it hit some branches and the buck ran off a ways so I grunted to him and he came back. " and of course the "Then three mins later three does came out and I knew that this deer was too far but I shot anyway.". If you know the deer is too far, you don't just shoot and say "what the heck". It's one thing to make honest mistakes.....setting up in the wind wrong, making noise going to the stand, or even makin noise in the stand. But to deliberately shoot at a deer knowing its too far just for the hell of it?? Or shooting at a deer knowing you didn't have a clear shot??? This really irritates me. Theres something really wrong with this picture. Sorry for any mixed feelings on this but I feel it needed to be said.
Old 09-26-2006, 03:32 PM

ORIGINAL: goherd1111

. However those all sound like things that mostbow hunters would know.
k o

I know. But I am new to bowhunting. I normally only gun hunt and where I hunted you didnt really even get a chance to use tactis because if you see a deer in this area while gun hunting it will most likely be running. But, I have learned alot from people like you and others that will, as you say hopefully get me a chance at a buck to my liking. We'll see.
Old 09-26-2006, 03:35 PM

ORIGINAL: snake123

I understand that there are many people here new to bowhunting as well as many well seasoned veterans. However, call me crazy on this one but shouldn't you know these things before you step in the woods? I mean somethings are obviously not common knowledge but many things are. I'm not trying to stir up a hive of bees but as I was reading this forum I got a little irritated. Mainly with these 2 comments "So I just decided to draw on him all the while thinking I shouldnt. I had a easy shot opportunity at 15 yards but decided to wait I dont know why I did but then I was like "I had better shoot" so I did regarless of the fact that there were branches in the way so I arrow went flipping as it hit some branches and the buck ran off a ways so I grunted to him and he came back. " and of course the "Then three mins later three does came out and I knew that this deer was too far but I shot anyway.". If you know the deer is too far, you don't just shoot and say "what the heck". It's one thing to make honest mistakes.....setting up in the wind wrong, making noise going to the stand, or even makin noise in the stand. But to deliberately shoot at a deer knowing its too far just for the hell of it?? Or shooting at a deer knowing you didn't have a clear shot??? This really irritates me. Theres something really wrong with this picture. Sorry for any mixed feelings on this but I feel it needed to be said.
I understand what you are saying and theyre isnt anything that will make me feel worse than the fact that I took a risky shot at one of Gods creatures. My actions were completely unsportsmans like and I know it. I will say it now and I will probably say it again. I am sorry. And There is nothing that can make me feel worse.
Old 09-26-2006, 03:46 PM

Well, at least you realize that they were mistakes and won't likely be repeating them. I wish that could be said for more hunters that I've witnessed flinging arrows around without regard. The good news is that nothing got wounded for you to live and learn.
Old 09-26-2006, 04:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: KodiakArcher

Well, at least you realize that they were mistakes and won't likely be repeating them. I wish that could be said for more hunters that I've witnessed flinging arrows around without regard. The good news is that nothing got wounded for you to live and learn.
My feelings exactly. Good POst.
Old 09-26-2006, 05:00 PM

It take alot of guts to come out and admit you were wrong. Its good that you are learning from your mistakes. You said you've gun hunted before and are new to bow hunting. So I will say this. Treat a bow at full draw like a loaded gun. Don't point it at anything you do not intend to shoot. You can notbust bullets through brush to kill deer, and arrows are no different. If a deers out of range with a rifle you don't go flinging lead hopeing for a hit. Many rifle hunters take this approach and usually they either miss or wound game. Half of them probably don't even know or care they wounded it. If your not 100% positive your going to make a good clean ethical shot then don't take it. Anyways glad your learning and hope you get your deer.
Old 09-26-2006, 05:06 PM

ORIGINAL: ilovehunting

ORIGINAL: goherd1111

. However those all sound like things that mostbow hunters would know.
k o

I know. But I am new to bowhunting. I normally only gun hunt and where I hunted you didnt really even get a chance to use tactis because if you see a deer in this area while gun hunting it will most likely be running. But, I have learned alot from people like you and others that will, as you say hopefully get me a chance at a buck to my liking. We'll see.
That is probably the worst exuse I could have used. I may be new to bowhunting but I am not new to deer hunting. I know the "rules of engagment" but in this case I failed to apply them. End of story.