Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 ANNUAL LET 'EM GO AND LET 'EM GROW >

ANNUAL LET 'EM GO AND LET 'EM GROW

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

ANNUAL LET 'EM GO AND LET 'EM GROW

Old 09-19-2006, 10:12 PM

Default ANNUAL LET 'EM GO AND LET 'EM GROW

Mod's place it where you see fit but I think this post deserves a place with the rest in the forefront of all members...

Take quality pics, make quality recoveries, shoot deer with quality broadheads, and harvest deer you can be proud of, and how about letting some deer go so that they can grow?

....that means just maybe evaluating your goals and standards prior to even getting out of your truck to head to the woods opening day. Consider all scenarios and do so throughout the season. What is the buck-to-doe-ratio in your woods, what is the average age of the bucks in your area, what can YOU do to IMPROVE your situation. Is that wily ole doe a tougher challenge than that immature, clueless, lost, bewildered, lonely, spindly 1.5-2.5 year old buck? Sure you have unlimited buck tags but don't you most likely have unlimited doe tags as well? What's best for the deer, their herd, the county's herd, the city's herd, the region's herd, the state's herd, and the herd period? The big equation is hugely larger than yourself. Take a doe and let the young bucks go so that they can grow....gee whiz...you might like what you see.
Old 09-19-2006, 10:20 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: ANNUAL LET 'EM GO AND LET 'EM GROW

How about everybody get out as much as you can, show some youths how much there is to enjoy outdoors, be safe at all times, and legally shoot what makes you happy and enjoy yourselves.
Old 09-19-2006, 10:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

How about everybody get out as much as you can, show some youths how much there is to enjoy outdoors, be safe at all times, and legally shoot what makes you happy and enjoy yourselves.
Good post aeroslinger, get some youth invovled, and shoot what makes you happy!
Old 09-19-2006, 10:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I for one would like to see more mature bucks. Last year I killed two younger bucks but this year I'm committed to shooting mature deer only, whether buck or doe. I won't shoot a buck this year unless it's at least past it's ears. My ideal season would be a nice doe early, then a wall hanger during the rut. No spikes or forkhorns for me.
Old 09-19-2006, 11:25 PM

Not that I completely disagree with your post, but;

------------------------------------------------

Success

The rain that had been pouring for the last several hours had finally quit and as I shifted my weight from one knee to the other, the puddle that had formed in my lap splashed down onto my worn leather boots. I had just turned to my good friend and hunting partner and whispered that we should be seeing action any time when, as if on cue, a tom turkey let out a gobble somewhere on the hillside in front of us. I quietly chuckled to myself as I shifted the call in my mouth to a more comfortable position. At the next sound off from the tom, I let out a few soft clucks with my diaphragm call. The automatic response of our new found suitor told me that he would be in our laps shortly. Lifting my shotgun from the rain soaked pine needles beside me I rested it on my knees and whispered to my friend to ready himself. As water dripped from the beaks of my decoys, the tom showed himself some thirty yards away. Just as his head cleared the last of the brush, the 12 gauge roared, sealing the bird’s fate on the second day of the season.

This hunt was a success for many reasons, the least of which being the fact that an animal was taken. Memories were made on this trip, memories that I’ll look back on years from now and smile, remembering all the good we took away with us. The trip had started out two nights before when a sudden downpour began while we were in the process of setting up our tent forced us to seek refuge in the landowner’s barn. A quick cell phone call home could have gotten us a ride and another night in our warm beds, but we made the most of the situation and camped out on the bales of hay stacked in the barn.

Though the rain continued to pour for the next two days, we persisted and were rewarded with a fine Jake turkey on the second day of the season. His beard measured slightly less than five inches, and while this wouldn’t be considered a trophy by many of todays hunters’ standards, I was still immensely proud to have taken this animal. Not only had we outlasted the storm, but I had included my good friend on his first ever Merriam turkey hunt. Though he hadn’t been the one to actually kill an animal, my friend considered this hunt a success because he had been included in one of my outdoor adventures.

Perhaps we’re of a different breed, but we believe that the success of a hunt shouldn’t be measured in inches of beard or the number of points the antlers have, but rather in what memories and lessons you’re able to take with you at the end of every hunt. If you’re able to come home at the end of a long day in the woods knowing that you’ve learned something about the animals you pursue or were able to make memories that will last a lifetime then you’ve had a most successful hunt.

Just remember this when you head into the woods this year; even though TV personalities like Waddell and Drury may take large animals on a regular basis, this isn’t what the true essence of hunting is about. Take your friends and family hunting, include them in your outdoor adventures, make as many memories as possible, and you’ll find that you’ll never pull into your driveway empty handed again.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Make this season about more than just taking a large buck or a mature doe. Make memories, enjoy yourself, and get someone involved who might not have the opportunity otherwise. Too much emphasis is put on taking large bucks these days, we'reforgetting what hunting is really all about and instead focusing more on inches of antler and numbers of points. A trophy is any deer taken with a bow. Set your own standards, but most importantly, enjoy yourself.
Old 09-20-2006, 04:29 AM
Fork Horn

"Consider all scenarios and do so throughout the season. What is the buck-to-doe-ratio in your woods, what is the average age of the bucks in your area, what can YOU do to IMPROVE your situation."

Then why did you tell me what to shoot and what not to?

"are you just saying that to compensate for other shortcomings?"

Why even go there? If thats what your thinking about who really has the other shortcomings?

"Take a doe and let the young bucks go so that they can grow."

In plenty of areas taking a doe isn't a choice or the right thing to do

"The big equation is hugely larger than yourself."

Well said, but remember its not about you or your ideas either.

"you might like what you see."

Then again if you shoot all the does you might not see anything.

Old 09-20-2006, 05:11 AM
Dominant Buck

I'm a meat only hunter with a lifetime license that I spent a lot of money on and the ability to write nearly unlimited free tags , and my hunting areas are designated as "reduction zones" by our DNR . I'll shoot as many as I can get into my freezer or donate to those less fortunate . Hunt the way you want and I'll do the same .
Old 09-20-2006, 06:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Atlas any Thoughts??
Old 09-20-2006, 06:26 AM

Jelen, why don't you say what you really mean! "Please let little bucks go so I have a better shot at actually seeing and taking a big deer for myself that I can pay somebody to put in a book with my name on it and can brag to my buddies about."

Ugh... please people. If you want to let them go..... do it. Please stop trying to get everyone to hunt the way you have chosen to. You start by asking people to think about what they want to shoot.. and then back it up with a bunch of drivel designed to make them feel poorly about harvesting a
immature, clueless, lost, bewildered, lonely, spindly 1.5-2.5 year old buck

Enough already!
Old 09-20-2006, 06:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with Wash. Hunter. Hunting is about making memories that will last a lifetime. Its all about shooting what makes you happy. Anyanimal can be a trophy depending on the hunter, no matter what size antlers areon its head. Go hunting this year and take a child or someone that usually does not have the opportunity to enjoy what each of us love. Watch a youngster kill their first deer, Even if its a doe I willguarentee you that they will be more excitedthan a seasoned hunter that kills a nice buck. Get outthisyear and make some memories that willstick with you forever. Thats what hunting is all about.

Quick Reply: ANNUAL LET 'EM GO AND LET 'EM GROW

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.