Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Lessons Learned

Old 05-22-2007, 04:15 PM
Fork Horn

Default Lessons Learned

I was thinking since the season is pretty much over in most places, how about hearing some the lessons people learned this year. Good or bad. They just might help someone get their bird next year. I will start.

When you spot a Gobbler in a field and try to put the stalk on him, you need to try to get to where you think he is going to go and not to where he is at the time you spotted him. I find this very hard to do, as you always think you can get to him. This happened to me twice this year and both times if I would have done what I am talking about it would have probably been very different results. I guess this also shows how important scouting is. If I had spent more time watching these birds I would have known where they would most likely be heading. I guess that is why I like turkey hunting so much, because just when you think you have it all figured out they do something you would never think they would do.

Dan
Old 05-22-2007, 04:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Lessons Learned

Hard work pays off. I worked harder this year than in any other of my 10 short years of chasing gobblers...but I did harvest one.

Other than that, nothing new that I already don't stress.....SCOUT SCOUT SCOUT and PATIENCE PATIENCE PATIENCE!!!
Old 05-22-2007, 08:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

This was my best season and my worst. I was able to call birds in most times out, but I only scored on one jake. I took 2 shots and underestimated distance both times and missed some nice longbeards. I need to learn to wait...when he's coming in, let him come! I'm still a little stumped about last week though. I had a gobbler coming in but instead of taking the easy route in to the dekes, he came to the sound of my calling the hard way thru the woods and slipped into the field I was set up on behind me, I mean like 2 Feet behind me. He basically gobbled in my ear! He was in full strut not 5 yards from me moving towards the decoys, and I moved when his fan was facing me, but I guess he caught movement. He came out of strut and moved towards my dekes, and he sped up. I thought he wanted to stomp my jake, but he just kept going straight into the woods. At first, this boy didnt wanna move, but after an hour +, repositioning and finally getting him to come in, then *Poof* He's gone. Thats the second time I think the same bird came in behind me this season. I'll be out after him again in the morning tomorrow, I'll be getting a late start but he's a late morning kinda Tom... (sorry for rambling)
Old 05-22-2007, 09:16 PM
Typical Buck

Keep at it no matter what happens. Pretty much can be said for any hunting I do for that matter. I had a few close calls this spring and made some mistakes that cost me birds but each time I took a few minutes to collect myself and trudged on. In the end it paid off.
Old 05-22-2007, 09:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yea i learned that turkey hunting isnt as easy as it is on the videos. Figures that me n my brother would have a perfect opening day hunt (He got one, all on video), and then the rest of the season would suck. I was all high up on my petistal after i called that first gobbler in that i thought i would tag up no problem. Well its 4 weeks later and it goes to show that i got nothing. I called in 10 jakes (shoulda shot one) and 1 gobbler that hung up at 60 yards becouse i forgot to put the dekes out. All season long i followed this group of gobblers around my hunting area, and they would call from the roost, but fly down the other way. I figured that it was becouse they had hens, but come late in the season when i knew thier was no hens they wouldnt come in. They would fly down and walk away or just sit in one spot and gobble at me. I guess im just not a good a caller as i thought, next year im gunna bonzai them all!
Old 05-23-2007, 06:36 AM
JW
Super Moderator

I learned a temperature drop of no more than 4 degrees F can really affect gobbling.

While we all go into the field no matter what the weather - as we have limtied time off - I tried to speculate the beset palce to set-up or just run and gun.

This was a very strange year as I cold find no pattern to at what stage the birds where in.

For instance Gobbling was very poor the majority of my days hunted. Yes they would gobble fromthe roost but after 7 AM most days - you wouldn't even think a bird existed. I found groups of birds right up to the end of May 20th. Mature Toms (2 to 3), with jakes and hens. I witnessed breeding right up to the end. Move a mile away or so and you found Single Toms and no hens - though the week before I would find single hens here and there.

I soon learned the single Tom was the best bird to go after.

JW

Nothing was consistent.
Old 05-23-2007, 07:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Don't wear shorts. No matter how hot its going to be...just don't do it.
Old 05-23-2007, 07:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

I learned that you have to make sure that in all the excitement of opening day and trying to get out in the woods as fast as you can, don't forget your calls. It sucks when you aren't able to call.[:@]
Old 05-23-2007, 07:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

BE PATIENT. I've been turkey hunting for years and am pretty dang good at it, but I made a rookie mistake this year. If I had just stayed where I was 5 more minutes I would have killed three instead of two this season. I knew better to move, but I did it anyway. When I got up to make a move on that gobbler going away, bam!, there he was, only 50 yards away staring at my decoy. The sad thing is I worked that longbeard all morning and made a successful move on him earlier just to blow it when I was at the brink of getting him.Bonehead move. Even seasoned veterans make mistakes every now and then.Patience is essential in turkey hunting.
Old 05-23-2007, 10:00 AM

when hunting with out a blind don't move when you have a hen 2 yard from you. i think my nostrals flared and she seen me

Quick Reply: Lessons Learned

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.