Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Scent containment carbon clothing question continued >

Scent containment carbon clothing question continued

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Scent containment carbon clothing question continued

Old 09-22-2006, 02:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Scent containment carbon clothing question continued

sorry,i felt that if i asked this question on page 7 it would not get answered..

my question is this, can anyone provide me with specfics on the molecules used in the carbon lineing... I am sure it is just not carbons contected to carbons and that there has to be other molecules attached...does anyone know what they are? I am really interested in knowing the geometric structure of the molecule used or just the specific molecules and number of them per compound used?

I am a biology/chemistry student and an avid hunter and this issue has always puzzled me..that is why i am asking about this so i can see for myself how it works at the molecular level..
thanks,
Josh
Old 09-22-2006, 02:28 PM

Default RE: scent lok question continued

not sure Josh but I'll look into it Good luck on your search
Old 09-22-2006, 03:14 PM

I know the discussion is offically over, but I just finished reading the entire post, and all I can do is sit here with my mouth open, in complete and utter shock from what I just saw. One of the most unbelievable comments I saw was something to the effect of - I don't have any scientific proof that it doesn't work but common sense says it doesn't. I dont have proof --- but?

What ever happened to the freedom of each and every American to have the right to decide for themselves if something works or not. I know that long before Bill Jordan came along, a lot of people killed a lot of deer , Big deer , in plad style jackets and wool pants. These days there are tons of camo' clothing companies making a killing, but no one is arguing that one of their patters does not work the way they say. I also know for a fact, that some patterns do not blend in..... they make you look like a big black blob up in a tree. But for some reason, it would seem that someone has a very personal vendetta against someone else.

There was also another statement about ratchet straps. and how the camo ones are 3 dollars higher for half the count. The author goes on to state that - they think we are stupid - or something like that. But he continues on to say we are not, and we are not going to take it anymore. Well sir, I am a hunter, and I am by no means stupid, but to make that purchase would be my decision, not yours, and by the way, I never asked you to fight this fight for me. You see, if they think we are stupid, but you say we are not, then you work to make everyone fall lock-step in with your beliefs, then you must think we are just as stupid as you say they do. You are misguided in your beliefs sir. You cannot have it both ways.

And lastly, why do you care so much about how other people choose to spend their hard earned money. Who made you Secretary of the Treasury? I may not agree with someone buying certain things, that I deem have no value, but it is their money and they are free to spend it how they wish. So please sir, don't take this fight upon yourself on my behalf, If and when I find something I need to go to battle about, rest assured that I am quite capable, and it will most certainly be something of value, not wheather or not someone's camo clothing line does what they say it does.

Remember, if we ( hunters ) are not stupid, then let us decide for ourselves. And if we want to buy it we will, if we do not, we won't.

BTW- I do not own any brand of carbon based ( or other ) scent free clothing. Not because I do not think it works, but rather because I kill deer every year without it. But you sir are free to do as you please, and please respect my, and everyone else's right to do the same.

I really have been enjoying this site for the last two weeks. I have come across some really friendly and helpful people. But that thread was one of the most childish acts I have ever wittnessed in my life...........It just sounds like sour grapes to me....
Old 09-22-2006, 03:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

I find it a bit funny that some of same hunters who go nuts when others tell them what to shoot, are the same guys who tell others what they should wear[&:]

LOL
Old 09-22-2006, 03:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

wow
Old 09-22-2006, 03:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have one question for the Scentlok R&D guy that's on this forum:

In all seriousness, why can I smell my farts through my scentlok suit? I'd like to know why the carbon can't contain that odor. It was the first time wearing it since activation and I'd have to say it didn't work based on my own "field" test.
Old 09-22-2006, 04:04 PM

Well, sir, I don't know about your farts inparticular, but I work in a laboratory for a fortune 500 major chemical company, and one thing I do know is that even carbon has a limit of how much crap it can take.

Old 09-22-2006, 04:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mr. Arkansas Sportsman.....
yes even carbon can only take soo much...however you would still also know that sticking the pants in a dryer and heating them that hot does break a lot of the polar bonds therefore the carbon suit new or used should still work...

-also the chemical compounds in the fart bond to the carbons but the chemicals that cannot bond due to the fact that the other atoms have a higher electronegative charge bond first may in fact give you the smell you smell after farting.....

-i am not bashing your fortune 500 company nor did i say anything about your working at a waste facility or other "chemical" job.....i simply asked one question listed above....

if you do work at a chemical plant and are so educated please enlighten me and tell me what is the molecular structure of the molecules used in the scent lok pants or scent blocker pants???
Old 09-22-2006, 05:02 PM

Josh,

First of all I feel as though I detect a certain tone to your note, and I am not sure howfeel about it. But I will give you the benefit of the doubt.

Now, why you chose to address me, I am not really sure. I have not addressed you at all in my postings. Perhaps you would care to help me understand.

Next, I never said you where bashing my company, as I said I have never addressed you. I also never said anything about a "waste facility", I simply said I workedfor a Major Fortune500 Chemical company. Now exactly what that has to do with you I'm not real sure.

Next, You say if I do work there, and if I am educated. Please understand Josh, I do not answer to you, nor do I have to explain myself to you nor do I need to send you my college transcripts or my w-2's for the last 18 years to prove that I know of that which I am speaking.

Next, I do not know the molecular structure of their carbon compounds. I was not the one who formulated it.My company is not scent-lok, and I would be willing to bet that if you checked, the technology has been patented and the formulation would there-fore be propritary. But even if it is not, I don't know, and further I don't care. But that might be something that youcan do your Doctoral Thesis on to REALLY try to impress people. I don't think the people here care that you know big words.

And finally in that last post, if you rise above yourself you will find humor in those sentences. You know, Josh, That a fart would be so bad, so strong, so powerful that the carbon couldn't contain it. So calm down, and if you really want to know, research it, and appease your own appitite, because I do not care. Thank You for your time.
Old 09-22-2006, 05:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

sorry for the mis understanding....bad day at work and after i re-read my response it does come off bad...i am not trying to use big words nore right any thesis on this subject, but that i am trying to find out for myself if that stuff really works..i am reading the article at http://www.fastestbows.com/articles/corrigan/scent_suits.htm
but that is just another guy who's opinion seems one sided, just my opinion. The only way you can really know anything is to do it yourself..now if you are not able to do it yourself for whatever reason that may be then you are left reading about what others right and believeing what they say...i am just out to find the truth in my eyes as to if carbon suits really work or not....again i am sorry if i affended you, just thought that you may know of what molecules are used in the suits...
sorry,
Josh

Quick Reply: Scent containment carbon clothing question continued

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.