Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Scent containment carbon clothing question continued >

Scent containment carbon clothing question continued

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Scent containment carbon clothing question continued

Old 09-23-2006, 12:24 PM

Default RE: Apology

ORIGINAL: atlasman

The main issue is being clouded here..............no one is debating whether carbon clothes work in the field. That is absolutely impossible to prove because the independent variable of a whacky whitetail can never be quantified.
Atlasman... I wasn't disagreeing with you... as a matter of fact I don't think they could ever work. Why? Because they have to be activated before we use them... and household dryerscan't do the job. Plus here is another contradiction made by the manufacturers: if they believe what they are telling use on how to properly take care of the garment then we should receive scent blocker garments in a sealed scentblocker bag already activated. But we don't... which means the carbon has already been saturated before we ever get them.
And even if they did have a small chance to work... the sampling tests to prove that claim would be extremely expensive and impossible to conduct... as I stated in my last post.Also as I said above... even if they did work I still wouldn't be interested... I would never folllow the ritual required to keep them working.
Old 09-23-2006, 02:06 PM
Typical Buck

What most of the naysayers are refusing to admit is that 90% (guessing but probably more) of the people who ACTUALLY HAVE USED said products are completely satisfied with them. That is the ultimate test for ANY product. I only personally know 3 people, 2 of which are close friends, besides myself that own and have used said products and we are all absolutely satisfied. We could 100% care less whether anyone or the laws of nature may say it doesn't work. Whatever effectiveness the product has seems to be fine. If people like it, it will stick around. If they don't, it will fade in a hurry. I like to hear people's opinions of products before I buy but ultimately its up to me whether I like it or not. I've bought stuff the majority liked and I didn't same as I've bought stuff many liked and I found I did likewise. Seems like this issue is always the people who ACTUALLY HAVE USED the products for the most part like it and the people who've NEVER TRIED it come on here and ferociously slam the product. If I don't like something I could care less if others do. I certainly don't feel compelled to tell them how wrong they are for liking it. Really tiresome.
Old 09-23-2006, 07:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: scent lok question continued

ORIGINAL: atlasman

ORIGINAL: ghemry

Who said I was talking about 1 thread.

Since the Let 'em grow antlers........and Scent guarentee thread are the ones everyone is talking about..........it is only logical to draw that conclusion.........anyhing is possible though.

Atlas I was not talking about you[8D]
Never said you were.
Solid point, but I was speaking of someone else, you must have a guilty conscience, LOL

I just have one more question; did a carbon suit ever attack you? LOL

I cannot image how much time has been wasted on this topic in general. If we spent half the time we spend fighting about what we wear, or what we choose to shoot, and focus that energy on the ARA. They would not stand a chance!!

I for one would love to see Atlas go toe to toe with PETA, they would not stand a chance!!!

Old 09-23-2006, 07:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

. But that thread was one of the most childish acts I have ever wittnessed in my life...........It just sounds like sour grapes to me....
I agree. The behavior of certain members was shameful.

As to the concept and the product...

Scent is like a radio playing in the woods. Even if you cannot turn it off completely, you can most assuredly turn it down a great deal. Carbon can do that.

If someone wants to buy the stuff, it's their business and no one else's. I have no qualms about admitting that I make a good living. I buy whatever I want for my hunting and my fishing. I work for the money and I enjoy spending part of it on the things that are out there to try. Its part of the fun for most of us.

For those that are quick to state that you shouldn't buy this or that, I'll make you a deal...I won't tell you how to spend your money and you don't tell me how to spend mine.

Old 09-23-2006, 08:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well for all the mods and also Mr. Scent lok i apologize as this was not what i was hoping to accomplish by posting a new one with my original question..

for all of you out there stating your "facts" about the product NONE of you are 100% right...
I am not some genius nore a chemist, but i do understand most of these terms and this is what i have found out soo far...

yes the carbon is "activated carbon" but i don't think you all understand completely what this is. It is made from a high heat source so that your end product is in fact 100% carbon.....if you agree with this then read on.

the smell that comes off of you from what i have read are VOC's or volatile organic compounds (carbons)....which by definition are "are organic chemical compounds that have high enough vapour pressu that under normal conditions to significantly vaporize and enter the atmospherres" thus that is why our smell is air borne.. and these VOC molecules attach to the "activated carbon." is you agree read on..

here is where everyone gets confused .to make "activated carbon" it mustbe made at a high temperature where oxygen is not at.....well to get the VOC's that have bonded to the carbons off the "activated carbon" you do not need to "reactive the carbon" you only need to break the bond from the "activated carbon" and let it float away in the air, for lamen terms......you do not need to make "activated carbon" to break the bonds form the VOC's but only heat it up enought to break the bonds......if you agree read on.

finally if you would all agree with the above and have some science back ground then you should be wondering what kind of bonds the "activated carbon" and VOC's make so that we will know if the dryer is enough "energy" or heat to remove them....i have not got to research this fully but from what i have found they are mostly vanderwalls forces or polar bonds... which are usually not the most stable and can be broken fairly easy....

what i have said is what i have found out form reasearch and my own knowledge....
this does not 100% say that the pants will work because i first need to make sure that our smell are really VOC's and also if the bonds are actually non polar bonds and how much energy is actually needed to break those bonds...

i hope this clears up any confusion for those who believe and those who don't!!

Mr. MichealT...i do have a question for you....if you are a chemist and i am not saying you are not....can you please either post or PM me your reasons as why you don't think these pants work? I will not be bashing your thought but using them to consider the opposition....

i am not for or against pants that contain carbon, but i would like to know the truth for myself...
Old 09-23-2006, 08:41 PM

ORIGINAL: aeroslinger

What most of the naysayers are refusing to admit is that 90% (guessing but probably more) of the people who ACTUALLY HAVE USED said products are completely satisfied with them.............Seems like this issue is always the people who ACTUALLY HAVE USED the products for the most part like it and the people who've NEVER TRIED it come on here and ferociously slam the product.
I have used activated carbon for at least 20 some years in many different arenas..........ranging from my own personal use as a filter media.......all the way to controlled lab studies and countless procedures. Davidmil is another person on this board who has been DIRECTLY involved with activated carbon in the dry cleaning industry (I believe) for many years. Numerous people with science backgrounds and others in the public health field have also posted on the subject of carbon and it's uses and limitations.

I guess you think the carbon in your suits is different though right??

It's pretty funny that you think you and your buddies throw on a suit and become more of an authority on carbon then people with decades of experience using it and studying it as part of their careers.

You can lead a horse to water..........
Old 09-23-2006, 08:46 PM

ORIGINAL: vc1111

Scent is like a radio playing in the woods. Even if you cannot turn it off completely, you can most assuredly turn it down a great deal. Carbon can do that.
How?............can you explain how or why air would suddenly decide to ignore the laws of physics and drive itself through a fabric without mechanical forces pushing it.................because if you can then you will rewrite the physics books and make TONS of money.
Old 09-23-2006, 08:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

atlasman for President! He gets my vote.
Old 09-23-2006, 08:49 PM

ORIGINAL: JNTURK

Well for all the mods and also Mr. Scent lok i apologize as this was not what i was hoping to accomplish by posting a new one with my original question..

for all of you out there stating your "facts" about the product NONE of you are 100% right...
I am not some genius nore a chemist, but i do understand most of these terms and this is what i have found out soo far...

yes the carbon is "activated carbon" but i don't think you all understand completely what this is. It is made from a high heat source so that your end product is in fact 100% carbon.....if you agree with this then read on.

the smell that comes off of you from what i have read are VOC's or volatile organic compounds (carbons)....which by definition are "are organic chemical compounds that have high enough vapour pressu that under normal conditions to significantly vaporize and enter the atmospherres" thus that is why our smell is air borne.. and these VOC molecules attach to the "activated carbon." is you agree read on..

here is where everyone gets confused .to make "activated carbon" it mustbe made at a high temperature where oxygen is not at.....well to get the VOC's that have bonded to the carbons off the "activated carbon" you do not need to "reactive the carbon" you only need to break the bond from the "activated carbon" and let it float away in the air, for lamen terms......you do not need to make "activated carbon" to break the bonds form the VOC's but only heat it up enought to break the bonds......if you agree read on.

finally if you would all agree with the above and have some science back ground then you should be wondering what kind of bonds the "activated carbon" and VOC's make so that we will know if the dryer is enough "energy" or heat to remove them....i have not got to research this fully but from what i have found they are mostly vanderwalls forces or polar bonds... which are usually not the most stable and can be broken fairly easy....

what i have said is what i have found out form reasearch and my own knowledge....
this does not 100% say that the pants will work because i first need to make sure that our smell are really VOC's and also if the bonds are actually non polar bonds and how much energy is actually needed to break those bonds...

i hope this clears up any confusion for those who believe and those who don't!!

Mr. MichealT...i do have a question for you....if you are a chemist and i am not saying you are not....can you please either post or PM me your reasons as why you don't think these pants work? I will not be bashing your thought but using them to consider the opposition....

i am not for or against pants that contain carbon, but i would like to know the truth for myself...

I suggest that if you want to learn about this stuff then do it properly..........not by cutting and pasting from who knows where. I admire you for wanting to learn........you are just going about it the wrong way and confusing yourself. If you don't understand basic chemistry you will have a hard time knowing if what you are reading is good info or trash.
Old 09-23-2006, 08:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

ATLASMAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please do not ever say that i am a plagarist......everything you read was my own conclusions.....yes i have not done my own data research but read what people for and those against carbon suits and filled in the blanks because they all decided not to show the oppositions opinion and my stance is neutral on this subject....i am sorry you think i have made up or plagorized what i wrote. and i am sorry you don't understand what i have wrote, but that would just lead me to believe you have not taken any science classes or if you have they were probably back 20 years ago when we did not even no what i mitochondrian was....

maybe i am going about it the wrong way, but that is simply because i do not have access to a lab to do these tests....but you and others who know little to nothing about science believe that you must "reactive the activated carbon" which is NOT TRUE... you must only break the bond from the activated carbon and the molecules from your body....

Quick Reply: Scent containment carbon clothing question continued

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.