Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Deer Hunters Moon Guide >

Deer Hunters Moon Guide

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Deer Hunters Moon Guide

Old 11-11-2002, 04:09 PM

Default Deer Hunters Moon Guide

yea i purchased one of those moon phase guides and i have still yet to totally understand it. I get the lettering part of it which tells u where to hunt....a....fields, b....funnels and c.....hardwoods, but i have still yet to understand what the moontimes do.....like the moon said that today was like 440pm and the deer i saw didn't move to last last light.....does anyone know how to read these times and what they mean.....any help is greatly needed!thanks
Old 11-11-2002, 04:33 PM

Default RE: Deer Hunters Moon Guide

It should be referring to the times that the strongest feeding time will fall in the 24 hour period. Most of them will say it is plus or minus 2 hours and also adjust it to your time zone. These are good aids, however it is still only good if you make the time to hunt. I followed the PrimeTimes table last year real closely. I hunt 4-5 times every week, and I was very impressed with the correlation of the days ranking with the number of deer I saw. The best times were a little tougher to track with my sightings.
I also fish alot when deer season is not happening. I could see a definite difference in the best feed times on the lake. In fact to the point where I really counted on these 2-3 hour periods of time.

I hope this kinda helps. I read the entire book on reading the solar and lunar phases and it was interesting but that is kinda a quick and dirty on my take.

Good Luck,
J. Shoot

Searching
Old 11-11-2002, 05:36 PM

We used a moonguide for several seasons on a buddy's private lease.We found that during bow season,when there was little presure on the deer,it was fairly accurate.Once gun season started it was'nt as accurate due to hunting pressure.You also need to factor in the weather.His place was mainly food plots and oak trees,a feeding area.We looked for an A rating with a peak moon time right before dark.We would allways see more deer in foodplots or feeding on these days.The B rating means the deer will move later so you hunt between the food source and bedding areas.A c rating means deer will move very late so you have to hunt next to the bedding area to see deer before dark.The time given is the "peak" moontime.Where the moon is directly overhead or underfoot.Like I said earlier,we had good luck on the A rating days during bow season with a peak moontime right before dark.

Billy

WHACKEM N STACKEM
Old 11-11-2002, 09:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have never used the moon guide disk, but I check my GPS times regularly and they are suprisingly accurate.