Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Who thinks you need more than 60 lbs? >

Who thinks you need more than 60 lbs?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Who thinks you need more than 60 lbs?

Old 09-21-2006, 04:59 PM

Default Who thinks you need more than 60 lbs?

Who believes that you need more than 60 lbs of draw weight to kill any big game animal in North America?

With today's high speed bows, I don't think so. What is everyone elses thoughts?
Old 09-21-2006, 05:03 PM

Default RE: Who thinks you need more than 60 lbs?

I don't think we need more than 40 lbs. to kill any North American big game animal.

I think we owe it to the animal, however, to shoot more than that to ensure a quick, clean, ethical kill.
Old 09-21-2006, 05:07 PM

ive killed game with just about every poundage and i say you dont have to shoot sixty ive killed small does with my 30lbs learning bow with no problems
Old 09-21-2006, 05:18 PM

60 is no doubt enough BUT the more energy, the more margin for error. How much is enough depends on the game, the situation and the shot.
Old 09-21-2006, 05:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

Agree with the above however, with added poundage comes added KE, perhaps not necessary but it comes down to shoot what is comfortable, right now, I pull 70lbs with ease, as I age, it'll decrease.
Old 09-21-2006, 05:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: KodiakArcher

60 is no doubt enough BUT the more energy, the more margin for error.
My thoughts exactly. A perfect shot will kill with a 30 pound bow. But what if you hit bone? I like 70 pounds and heavy arrows just in case I hit the shoulder bone or a rib.
Old 09-21-2006, 05:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

I shoot 65 out of my Allegiance, coupled with its speed mods, in case I accidentally smack a big shoulder bone on a mature Illinois brute...

Do I need it when the shot is absolutely perfect? No way. The fact I had to pull eight inches of my arrow out of the dirt after passing through that big mature doe Tuesday night tells me that -- and that after some of the KE was used deploying a big inch-and-a-half mech. But I'm a lot more comfortable knowing all that KE is there if I'm off in my shot placement a touch.
Old 09-21-2006, 05:31 PM

I dont think so. But I do agree with everyone about the more the ke the better. I am pulling like 55 and it does a good job on deer.
Old 09-21-2006, 05:39 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-21-2006, 06:46 PM
Dominant Buck

Guys,

It has nothing to do with penetrating or getting a pass through. True, if you hit a blade more power = pass through. There is that point where less poundagebecomes no pass through. It all has to do with distance and accuracy, period. There is a reason the states maintain the 35# limit (give or take where you all live). It will kill the game just as quick with a good shot. You slice the heart and/or lung the animal will drop just as quick. Pass through has to do with tracking. The animal will die just as quick with or without pass through.

Poundage has to do with: More power = flatter projectory = less pins. Rule of thumb, if you can't pull your bow straight back smoothly with your arm projecting towards the deer, you are over bowed. For those of you who feel the Pythagorean theory doesn't work for distance/angle away from the tree, your almost correct. You have to add in the acceleration of gravity and it works out dam close neglecting the wind resistance of the arrow. Yes deer, (my wife) I really did study all those years while I was at happy hour after class.

Good luck

Quick Reply: Who thinks you need more than 60 lbs?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.