Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Who thinks you need more than 60 lbs? >

Who thinks you need more than 60 lbs?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Who thinks you need more than 60 lbs?

Old 09-21-2006, 06:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Who thinks you need more than 60 lbs?

Good point Mouse. Plus your bow shoots at its opitiman level when it is maxed out. As stated though you shouldnt pull more than you can handle.
Old 09-21-2006, 06:54 PM
Typical Buck

i dont because i use 50 pounds and i still kill deer but i like to keep my shots within 20 for a buck and 30 yards for a doe.
Old 09-21-2006, 06:58 PM

I doubt anyone could kill a deer without at least 320fps and at least 80lbs KE..........and for guns nothing short of a 300WSSM will even come close.

C'mon guys...........it's a freaking oversized rabbit..........not a Sherman Tank
Old 09-21-2006, 07:03 PM

C'mon guys...........it's a freaking oversized rabbit..........not a Sherman Tank
Now you can hunt tanks too...just get you some new Easton Full Metal Jackets. They will pierce right through that wimpy metal armor.
Old 09-21-2006, 07:32 PM

ORIGINAL: Washington Hunter

I don't think we need more than 40 lbs. to kill any North American big game animal.

I think we owe it to the animal, however, to shoot more than that to ensure a quick, clean, ethical kill.
How in the world does more poundage equate to dead deer faster???? A bow set at 40 pounds can and will pass completely through a deer at 20 yards. Likewise, a bow set at 70 pounds can and will pass completely through a deer at 20 yards.....How does more poundage kill the deer quicker???

Yeah, yeah, I know the political answer. If you hit a shoulder blade you have more energy to punch through it. While that IS true, it still doesn't guarantee that you WILL...Let's say you hit the near shoulder blade w/ a 40 pound bow at 20 yards...I would be willing to bet you clear that blade and get into the heart/lung area. Dead deer, and that's all there is to it.
Old 09-21-2006, 08:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

How in the world does more poundage equate to dead deer faster???? A bow set at 40 pounds can and will pass completely through a deer at 20 yards. Likewise, a bow set at 70 pounds can and will pass completely through a deer at 20 yards.....How does more poundage kill the deer quicker???

Yeah, yeah, I know the political answer. If you hit a shoulder blade you have more energy to punch through it. While that IS true, it still doesn't guarantee that you WILL...Let's say you hit the near shoulder blade w/ a 40 pound bow at 20 yards...I would be willing to bet you clear that blade and get into the heart/lung area. Dead deer, and that's all there is to it.
An arrow flung from that same 40 pound may stop short of both lungs on an elk, moose, or even a deer if heavy bone is encountered. But my bow generating more than 80 pounds of KE will have a much much much better chance of breaking through that same bone and cutting through both lungs.

If you can handle more poundage accurately, especially if you have a short draw length, the more energy you have to turn a marginal shot into the shoulder into a double lung shot. It also allows a person to take shots that another person should pass up. I have no qualms about taking a quartering to shot through the shoulder causeI know that I have plenty enough energy and momentum to get more than enough penetration. My son would have to pass a shot like this.

My son would also have to pass up a deer at 40 or 50yards where asI could easily zip right through it.

Wouldyouwant to take on Grizzly bears with a 35 or40 pound bow? How about Polar bears, how about a 2200 pound trophy Bison? How about a trophy carabou hunt where shots could easily reach out to 50+ yards?

Here is a better question.

Why does it matter to anyone else how much weight a person is drawing with their bow. If I could easily draw and shoot a 100 pound bow as well as I could a 70 pound bow you can dang sure bet I would be shooting it. That would equate to about a 600 grain arrow at 300fps.
Old 09-21-2006, 08:13 PM

I think many people shoot more weight than they can handle leading to bad form, poor accuracy etc. I have no problem with people that can handle higher poundage bows with ease but I think many people think they need or want to shoot a 70 lb bow that they might not be able to handle when they would be better off shooting a lower poundage bow.
Old 09-21-2006, 08:18 PM

My bow scales at 67 lbs
I can pull it standing on my head(if I could stand on my head)
I get complete pass thrus on 90% of the deer I shoot
Old 09-21-2006, 08:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

I think many people shoot more weight than they can handle leading to bad form, poor accuracy etc.
Yes, this is VERY true. I see it all the time and they immediately get advise to lower their draw weight. Though many don't like to hear it. I usually have them sit on the floor with their legs crossed and have them pull straight back with out raising their bow arm or leaning backwards.

It all boils down to individual people knowing their limitations.

I had a husband and wife come in a few weeks ago to get her a bow. She could only pull back about 40 pounds, depending on the bow. He was calling her weak, telling me to turn up the poundage, telling her that she needs to get stronger etc... I just about had to get rude with him but being the nice guy I am I just turned aroundand lowered the poundage to where I knew that she was comfortable. He wouldn't know the differance any how.

I see the same thing with kids and dads. Then you get thedads that bring in their kid two weeks before season to get him his first bow and then get offended when I suggest that the child not go hunting and wait until next hunting season until he has put in the time to get proficient with his bow.
Old 09-21-2006, 08:36 PM

From everything that I remember growing up that 45lbs is the weight needed to bring down a white tail. So I would think with the proper shot and distance there should be no prblem taking down bigger animals with less than 60lbs.

Tim

Quick Reply: Who thinks you need more than 60 lbs?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.