Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Who thinks you need more than 60 lbs? >

Who thinks you need more than 60 lbs?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Who thinks you need more than 60 lbs?

Old 09-21-2006, 09:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Who thinks you need more than 60 lbs?

ORIGINAL: monsterbucks2011

i dont because i use 50 pounds and i still kill deer but i like to keep my shots within 20 for a buck and 30 yards for a doe.
What the ???? Why does your ethical range change depending on the sex of the animal? That is the most insane thing I've heard on this forum in a long time. You owe that doe the same respect that you'd give the buck. If you don't think you canmake a 30 yard shot on a buck what makes you think you're going to make it on the doe? Or is it that wounding a doe is more acceptable than wounding a buck because does are more abundant?
Old 09-21-2006, 09:36 PM

ORIGINAL: gzg38b

ORIGINAL: monsterbucks2011

i dont because i use 50 pounds and i still kill deer but i like to keep my shots within 20 for a buck and 30 yards for a doe.
What the ???? Why does your ethical range change depending on the sex of the animal? That is the most insane thing I've heard on this forum in a long time. You owe that doe the same respect that you'd give the buck. If you don't think you canmake a 30 yard shot on a buck what makes you think you're going to make it on the doe? Or is it that wounding a doe is more acceptable than wounding a buck because does are more abundant?
Yea I really don't understand that thinking either.
Old 09-22-2006, 12:04 AM
Typical Buck

I'm no expert or technical guru with a bow, but that doesn't stop me from having my own theories!

I'm not a big guy, but I'm fairly strongand could probably be pulling back around 65 to 70 pounds. I don't. I pull around 58 to 60 lbs (which is near the top of my bow's range). I know more pounds would give me a flatter trajectory, which gives me more leeway with distance estimation at longer distances. I also use a bow with a small axle-to-axle length with adraw length that is, if anything, a little bit on the short side. I know a longer axle-to-axle length would make it easier to shoot more accurately and that a longer draw length would essentially have the same effect as drawing more weight.

Why do I do these dumb things you ask?

The short answer is they give me more shot options.

I hunt in the woods, and so I’m not shooting 40 yards, I probably couldn’t shoot much more than 25 or 30 yards max, without hitting branches, unless I just cleared out an area (I do clear out several very specific and strategic shooting lanes out to about 25 yards). So the flatter trajectory doesn’t matter so much to me. If I'm pulling back a bow that I can easily draw and hold for a significant amount of time, then this allows me more options to draw when the deer isn’t looking and hold that draw until they go through one of my shooting lanes and I have a good, ethical shot. Having a short axle-to-axle length means that my bow is more maneuverable and I can shoot from more angles without hitting my tree trunk or branches, my tree stand or myself. And, since I’m only shooting out to about 25 yards anyways, I feel very comfortable with the accuracy I have out to that distance. Using a shorter draw length helps with holding at full draw for longer, if I need to, to take an ethical shot, and also helps with the maneuverability factor.

Maybe this sounds weird, but it seems to work for me.

Old 09-22-2006, 04:57 AM

bows w/ pivoting limb pockets aren't more efficient bottomed out.
Old 09-22-2006, 09:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

How do you figure that?

A limb that is optimally flexed is going to be more eficient than a limb that isn't. Regardless of what kind of pocket it sits in.

The only real benefit to a pivoting limb pocket is the fact that the limb is sitting completely inside the pocket and is more secure. It is still stressed in all the same places as they were before pivoting pockets.
Old 09-22-2006, 09:56 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Washington Hunter

I don't think we need more than 40 lbs. to kill any North American big game animal.

I think we owe it to the animal, however, to shoot more than that to ensure a quick, clean, ethical kill.
I couldn't agree more
Old 09-23-2006, 04:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Far better to pull a bow with less poundage than wrestle with to much on a cold morning fully wrapped in clothing. After a couple of back surgeries I shoot 58 pounds or so during late summer/early fall practice and then back in down to 50 pounds to hunt with. I see alot of folks fight to pull a heavy bow and that translates into alot of extra movement in a hunting situation. My first deer with a bow was with an old Ben Pearson recurve @ 30 pounds and itkilled her quicker than I can spend $100 at Cabelas.
Old 09-23-2006, 06:58 AM

all i can say bigbulls is check it out. shoot a 70# bow of same draw, type, strings, arrows, rest, and all that - backed down to 60# against a 60# bow that's identical.

also, i think you folks are leaving something out - drawlength. say i'm shooting a 29.5" drawlength at 60# and someone else is shooting a 27.5" identical setup at 70# - who's got more force?
Old 09-23-2006, 08:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

also, i think you folks are leaving something out - drawlength.
That, and seems several guys are only thinking about thier little whitetails, when the original posters said "any N.A. animal." I'd want as much as I could get if I was lookin' at griz. or moose!
I do know a lady that has taken 4 bull elk in the last 5 years and she has a 27" draw and is only pulling around 45#'s! It's all about shot distance and placement!
Old 09-23-2006, 08:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Been shooting 53lbs now for two years,working fine,just keep the broad
heads sharp,and hit the spot!

Quick Reply: Who thinks you need more than 60 lbs?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.