Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 ANNUAL LET 'EM GO AND LET 'EM GROW >

ANNUAL LET 'EM GO AND LET 'EM GROW

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

ANNUAL LET 'EM GO AND LET 'EM GROW

Old 09-22-2006, 07:48 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: ANNUAL LET 'EM GO AND LET 'EM GROW

Monster Bucks only,

I think you will find that the folks here would have responded much better if you would have started with the post you ended with rather than the arrogant degrading drivel you were posting earlier. Maybe you are maturing as a forum poster.
Old 09-22-2006, 08:10 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Monster Bucks only

...I know that most of you will someday know exactly what I am talking about even if you dont understand it today. I also realize that anyone reading this with more than 20 years of hunting experience can look back and know that they are also not the same hunter that they were when they started. Good luck to each of you this season and may you all witness something in the woods this fall that will stick with you forever and lead you to the next level.
Anyone out there who caught a lot of bluegill as a kid? Then got REAL into bass fishing for a long time, and all the technical stuff that goes along with it? Then maybe after a few years goes back with a bobber and worm and has a blast catching bluegill? Take a kid and it's even more fun. If maturation means losing the meaning, I'll stay in the garage or in first grade, or whatever analogy you feel like labeling me.

It just ain't all that serious. I'll pass on the spikes and forkys for ya, but a nice 6 or 8 walks in this year, I'm sticking to the FUNdamentals. Maybe going FULL CIRCLE is the ultimate in the maturation preocess???
Old 09-22-2006, 08:22 AM
Dominant Buck

You could re-shingle your roof with baby seal pelts for all I care...........if you do it legally and safely.
I don't care who ya are....that right there is funny

Ya know....I read through all of this "maturing" shxt and it makes me want to puke. I know what maturity is. I come to work every day and worship the ground my wife and son walk on. I've got THAT part of my life together.....and I hunt for MY reasons.

Ipost on here most every day. Most guys on here I get along with. Some I don't (not that THEY care....I probably do). I've also got MY views on hunting........and I'm a complete novice bowhunter (though I've hunted all my life).

When I saw the trail cam photos of the deer in my area....I targeted a couple of bucks that I really wanted. It doesn't really matter which ones...to anyone else.....but I DID want to take the biggest bodied deer (although it had a smaller rack). I considered it a challenge. Would I take the other deer? I don't know? That's between ME and the DEER That pesents itself). Would I fault anyone for taking ANY deer? Nope.

This whole thread just disappoints me. It really does.

Jeff
Old 09-22-2006, 08:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

The arrogance from some of you MBO, GregH and jelen to name a few is laughable! I think you guys are trying soooooo hard to prove yourself or manhood that you are blinded. Get a Vette for Pete's sake! That will clearly say that you have a superiority promlem!

Do you want to be a hunter like on TV? Have you watched so much of it that you just have to be that good? That's fine.Go for it! I'll applaud you for your efforts and results!

Why? Why? Why? must you try to push you views on others? Why is your way the only way? Can you not understand that hunting is much more or much different to others? Can you not understand that a 4 point makes me proud when I kill it? That I never regret it? That I never say well if I would have waited............

Do the mature buck that I have killed make me better, more mature, or correct? If so, how?.........Why?

I understand your stance, but I connot understand why some of you feel the need to look down your noses and attempt to change the views of others when we/they are happy as it is.
Old 09-22-2006, 08:48 AM
Site Bouncer

Edit because it's not worth making this 10 more pages longer. Good luck to all this year, shoot what you want, it's supposed to be be fun.
Old 09-22-2006, 09:22 AM

Why? Why? Why? must you try to push you views on others?

HuntinGUS, These guys are only stateing their views. GregH has said many times "shoot what you want", and I will say it. If you want to smack a little dink buck go ahead.

Monster Bucks only, Good post!

Old 09-22-2006, 09:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

HuntinGUS, These guys are only stateing their views. GregH has said many times "shoot what you want", and I will say it. If you want to smack a little dink buck go ahead.
No sarcasm or arrogancein that statement huh? Don't worry I have 3 buck tags that will be used this year on bucks that make me smile.

Old 09-23-2006, 10:30 PM

ORIGINAL: HuntinGUS

No sarcasm or arrogancein that statement huh? Don't worry I have 3 buck tags that will be used this year on bucks that make me smile.

Where is the sarcasm...??? He said "smack a little dink buck" and if that is what makes you tick and what makes you proud then by golly go do it...good for you and I hope it works for you buddy...go get 'em kid...you da man buddy...allright now...here we go...make it happen...nail 'em pal Three buck tags???...that means three times the fun of shooting those dinkers stallion...but like I said before...what kind of idiotic governing institution of this Country allows any hunter to shoot more than one buck????????????????????????????????????????[][][] Oh...........it's legal??????????????????????? Oh...sorry.........then it must be ok......Cooter, load up the truck.....we're a' huntin' tonight and we're gonna fill every tag we gots because the govment says its okay!!! And what the heck...let's take an extra or two for good measure...we'll be eatin' good till springtime. We're our own worst enemy and shoud be smarter than this...love y'all.....good luck...sorry for the fact that we don't see eye to eye and it frusrtates to no end. [&o]
Old 09-24-2006, 06:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Where is the sarcasm...???
Everywhere in your last post.

We're our own worst enemy and shoud be smarter than this..
This entire thread sure brings that statement to mind.
Old 09-26-2006, 02:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hello, I'm new to this site, but have a few points I'd like to make.
First, there is no wrong way to do it, so longas it's legal, and I do realize that it has already been said more than once.
Second, the area/land you're hunting is probably different from everyone else in this forum. So the deer you're hunting are probably different as well. Different genetics and different nutrition have huge effects on these animals. A Kansas corn feed mature buck looks like he eats small malnutritioned West VA hill dwelling Bucks all day. So if you're hunting in some of these areas where the deer are smaller, you need to find out what kind of condition a mature buck is going to be in. However, it's pretty safe to say, that if you decide toshoot the little deer, go ahead. Just don't complain about there not being any big ones! It's like grass, if you scalp it as soon as the fragile blade begins and never stop butchering it, you'll never have a nice thick green yard. Let that grass growa little and in a few years... Nice!
But I tip my hat to GregH! He knows - go read his post in this thread dated, oh nevermind, I'll copy and paste:

GregH post - "I usually find just the opposite, you let them go and they usually end up being even bigger the following year.

I also find that the ones who complain about the trophy hunters are the ones that couldn't hunt their way out of their garage, even if the big door was open.[:-]

The usual comments from the people uncapable of killing a mature buck are, " Ya can't eat the horns", "My young small buck is more tender than your big ole buck" (BTW, so are young does) and (my favorite) " I'm getting back to the basics". Well, you never left the basics by continuing to shoot small bucks. Hunting mature bucks will really test your skills. "

Get mad, jump up and down, but it's true. In my area there are some pretty good deer. No a whole lot of monsters, but nice bucks. These dearcan be a real challenge to hunt.They are the ones that you hear the stories about. The ones that are so elusive and have their skills toned. Had they been killed a few years prior, when they were young spikes - guess what - they wouldn't be there!

I'm also hearing a bunch of talk about killing does is better than killing small bucks and so on. Here is my rule, well its not mine, I've just heard it over the years and I think it holds true, especially in areas where the herd may not be abundant. Shooting does is a no - no. The reason is - if there were twenty does and twenty bucks on opening day and nineteen bucks were killed, you could still have twenty pregnant does (total population of 21 deer), with the hopes that each doe would produce one fawn, leaving us with a total of 41 total for next season. If instead, you were to decide to shoot does (which is what I'm hearing) and you switched the numbers, you would have twenty bucks, and one pregnant doe (total population is again 21). But next year, you'll only have 22 total deer and in most cases, still only one doe that is ready to breed! Sure hope nothing happens to her! You've got to let these animals breed and grow to have a healthy herd. Here's a radical idea - If you're really worried about letting a dear live and someone else shooting it, educate the dear. Make a noise, wait until they look at you and then show them what and where you are. If you spend enough time scouting and place your stands in the right area, you can have the same young deer keep coming back to your area. He's not a stupid buck, he's young and needs to be taught to trust his instincts. He's probably already smelled you, let him see you, he'll learn and he'll grow. Soon, he won't be making that mistake anymore. If he smells you at all, you won't see him.
If you're one of the people saying the things that GregH quoted, ask yourself this question "Is anyone else in this area harvesting mature healthy bucks?" If the answer is "no", well, sorry about your luck. If the answer is yes, then you need to look inward at yourself. Chances are, you've either not done your homework properly (camo, scent, scouting, stand placement, etc.) or you are being impatient. Most likely a little of both.
So, if you need the meat, take him. Nature has presented you with an opportunity that will be of great benefit. If you don't need the meat and want to help your own cause, let him go, teach him a lesson if you like. I think you'll find great pride in watching him go. You may be lucky enough to see him a few more times that season. But now you need to make the commitment to being a better hunter, and go find those big boys, the ones that give you that since of accomplishment when you get them. The ones that you know you can be proud of. And I'm not saying you shouldn't be proud of anything you get. But there is a difference. The mature buck is much harder to get than a young buck or a doe, so when you've passed the other deer for a few years and watched them grow and you've put in the time, the pay off will be worth it. And you'll know it.

Quick Reply: ANNUAL LET 'EM GO AND LET 'EM GROW

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.