Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Home-made bow press >

Home-made bow press

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Home-made bow press

Old 09-17-2006, 03:57 PM
Fork Horn

Default Home-made bow press

Can anyone help me with a home-made bow press design.

I just can not bring myself to spend50+bucks on a store bought.
Old 09-17-2006, 04:07 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Home-made bow press

I wouldnt trust any homemade plans, todays bows are tough to press even in commercial presses. Take my advice and spend the 50 bucks you will be happy in the long run.
Old 09-17-2006, 04:17 PM

I am sure you could find some plans but it would be my suggestion to go way over board in strength and you would not be sorry. In my best judgment I would probably spend the $

Tim
Old 09-17-2006, 04:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

i cant see why a padded bolt laid across each limb connected to a ratchet strap wouldnt work... but i wont be held responsible if it fails.. if it works, i want 50% royalty
Old 09-17-2006, 06:21 PM
Typical Buck

i would pay the 50 for a press why take a chance with a 4-500 $ bow
Old 09-17-2006, 06:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would spend the money and buy one. Your bow is worth way to much to have something fail on a design you dont know will hold up or even work!!!
Old 09-18-2006, 06:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

I made one, it is specific to bows of my specs though. What I did was take the dimensions of the kind I would need and built it. Mine is not only functional but beautiful. Made out of some native 60 year old 5/4 cherry and some common red 5/4 oak. I work with wood so I know how to make stong joints. I tried it out without any sturts to keep the limbs together and they almost held. They didn't seperate but didn't sound like they were giving so I backed it off and added some 1/4 threaded rods for strength at the top of the limbs. I used eye bolts, turn buckles, u bolts, 1' pvc pipe and some 3/4 bolts. It works well for what I do, but could beeasier to operate. After the bow is turned down in weight and installed I simply turn the buckles untill the string is relaxed. cost me around twenty bucks. You can buy parts used for presses if you care too, but that increases the cost to a point where you might as well buy one. The cheery's grain is like summer wheat in the wind. As you move, it seems to shift.It's not hard to figure out and people have been pulling things since the dawn of time,and you already have the specs. Took me a couple hours to build and a trip to a farm supply store.