Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Attempted Buck rescue  bad ending (pics) >

Attempted Buck rescue bad ending (pics)

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Attempted Buck rescue bad ending (pics)

Old 09-16-2006, 09:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Attempted Buck rescue bad ending (pics)

My son and hunting buddy Dalton discovered this buck while riding his bike down the road today. it appered he had gotten stuck in the mud in a feeder ditch.My son heard some water splash and peered into the ditch and seen tines sticking up and rode home to tell me. We decided to try and get him out so he could live on and he would be a great buck to pursue in the upcoming hunting season. we had watched this buck all summer in the fields around our home. A couple relatives and some people passing by helped us attempt to rescue him. I managed to get a rope around his antlers in a way that when pulled out we could let go of one end and pull the other to unhook him so he could run off. We managed to get him out, but when released he slithered back down the enbankment. attempt number two, we decided to drag him further into the road. with roap released we watched him only to figure out he was parralized in the back end. He could not move his rear legs, only the front ones. We were totatly bummed out. We got this all on film by the way. I made the decision to call the authorities, It was either a slow death in the ditch or be put out. While waiting on the authorities he managed to drag himself back down the embankment. They showed up and dispatched the deer. We were issued a form to take Him home. We kept some meat and im going to europeon mount him for my son. I also plan on sending the footage in to north american whitetail for a possable muzzy monent. The buck must have been a warrior, his right eye was gone and his left ear had a tear in it. looked like some injury from last years fighting. Its just ashame the outcome wasnt better. Dan

Old 09-16-2006, 09:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Attempted Buck rescue bad ending

thats a shame he couldn't be saved. i applaud you for you're efforts. That was one mighty fine whitetail.
Old 09-16-2006, 09:46 PM
Typical Buck

Thats to bad, he would of been a nice one to hunt. Great effort on you and your sons part. It's nice to see people trying to help in situations like that. Maybe you can post a pic of the europeon mount when you get it done. Should be a nice mount!

Thanks for sharing!
crutch
Old 09-16-2006, 09:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice try on saving him. What a shame nobody will get a chance to hunt him now.
Old 09-16-2006, 09:54 PM

The world's a cruel place sometimes, isn't it? And people say hunting is cruel....hmph..... Well done. Well done.
Old 09-16-2006, 09:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

Sometimes we wonder if the bucks we persue make it through the hunting seasons for another year, then they have to dodge vehicles and all the other perils they go through on a daily basis.

Thanks for sharing, I'd almost bet that'd make a Muzzy Moment.
Old 09-16-2006, 09:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Nice try!!!!!! I hate sad endings.
Old 09-16-2006, 10:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Attempted Buck rescue bad ending (pics)

Good story, nice buck too bad your efforts were in vain.
I'm sure that europeon mount your son is gonna get will something he'll treasure for the rest of life.
You and your son did the right thing by trying to save it.
Old 09-16-2006, 10:58 PM

Kudos to you and your friends for trying to save his life. Sorry it didn't work out.

Old 09-16-2006, 11:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Probably got hit by a car.
I can sympathize. I tried to rescue a nice buck caught in a fence last year and it ended the same.
Slipping an arrow in his ribs while walking thru the woods would have been a much nicer way to go I'm sure. Sometimes we are dealt a losing hand from the start,but must play it anyhow.
Your motives are admirable.

Quick Reply: Attempted Buck rescue bad ending (pics)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.