Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Decoys

Old 09-15-2006, 08:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Decoys

Giving some thought to these. It's recommended that you use a bedded doe and a standing buck together. The price isn't bad. Kind of wanting to have some fun with my brother with these as well. They have to work though. The spot I would like to use them is deep woods set up off a ridge, kind of thick where the deer come up fom the bottom to feed and breed. The sun if there is any would be behind them. It would be more moving around setting them up than I care to do and I would, I think set them up mid day as morning will be to dark to do a good job.

Realtree has an article on them linked on this page. What do you think?

http://www.renzosdecoys.com/whitetail.htm
Old 09-15-2006, 08:22 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Decoys

Spend a couple bucks more and get the "Montana decoys" made of fabric easier to haul around. Renzo decoy has some plastic strips that hold the folded areas in place and if you lose them you're sunk. I used one last year and the wind kicked up popped the plastic so the deers head was flopping around like it had "mad cow" disease.
Old 09-16-2006, 04:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

had a friend who invited some buddies to rifle hunt with him, during the nite before the opener, he snuck out of the trailer, and set up a 3-D buck targetabout 45 yards from one of the stands his buddy was to hunt come sunrise, well at sunrise they heard about 5 shots, then some time past and the 5 more shots, then alittle more time, and then some real loud cussing and swearing. Guess it waspretty funny. the guy had emptied all 5 rounds, reloaded, and emptied again, then crawled out of his stand to investigate.
Old 09-16-2006, 04:23 AM

ORIGINAL: Mastevt

had a friend who invited some buddies to rifle hunt with him, during the nite before the opener, he snuck out of the trailer, and set up a 3-D buck targetabout 45 yards from one of the stands his buddy was to hunt come sunrise, well at sunrise they heard about 5 shots, then some time past and the 5 more shots, then alittle more time, and then some real loud cussing and swearing. Guess it waspretty funny. the guy had emptied all 5 rounds, reloaded, and emptied again, then crawled out of his stand to investigate.
That had to be one dumb deer.
Old 09-16-2006, 10:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

LOL That's a good one.

Kind of info I'm looking for rcgerchow. Thanks! You got a funny story out of it though.
Old 09-16-2006, 05:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Decoys work great and take all attention away from you... works great w/ a doe&buck decoy....
Old 09-16-2006, 06:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

nodog, I've read that decoys work better in open areas where they can be seen better. Just thought I'd mention it. The buck and bedded doe sounds like a winner.
Old 09-16-2006, 07:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks for the info Ed.

Hey early, I saw what you said in the deerhunting forum about these decoys, interesting anyways. I'll keep your thoughts in mind.
Old 09-16-2006, 08:46 PM
Typical Buck

im going to try using a decoy this year hope it work as well as it sounds like it should
Old 09-16-2006, 09:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: monster10rackstack

im going to try using a decoy this year hope it work as well as it sounds like it should
Which were you thinking about?