Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Calls and attractants >

Calls and attractants

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Calls and attractants

Old 09-14-2006, 11:23 AM
Fork Horn

Default Calls and attractants

Hey all, I was wondering asidi from the Rut how soon can I start to use calls and scents? and if so durring early season which calls and scents can I use?
Thanks
Old 09-15-2006, 08:52 AM

Default RE: Calls and attractants

I'm not a biologist, so take this as my humble opinion. Also bear in mind that everything regarding scents and calls depends on the availability of does in the area (buck to doe ratio).
In the early season (Sept. 1- Oct. 15) I use some doe locator calls or fawn distress calls. A young buck grunt or two won't hurt, either. The important thing isnot to overdue it. Food attractant scents work well too, provided they simulate the smell offoods that are natural to the area you hunt! After the middle of October, I get a little more vocal. I will bleat a little and grunt (not overly aggressive) and even tickle the tines of my antlers to simulate young bucks playing grown-up. I also start using regular doe and buck urines and making mock scrapes (I use Kishel's products).Again don't overdue it! After the first few days of November all the stops come out! I rattle and rake, grunt, bleat and groan for all I'm worth...but remember, when you're making this racket you're exposing yourself to the deer, so take 20-30 minutes between each 1-3 minute sequence. Also at this time, I start with a little estrus doe "cocktail" (increasing thiseach week through the rut)and a generous amount of buck-in-rut urine, and if I know there's a big boy in the neighborhood, I'll use dominant buck urine in my scrapes and pour some in his if I see them, just to piss him off (no pun intended). Be careful here, because this might discourage younger or non-aggressive mature bucks (even big bucks will avoid a conflict with another big buck if there are lots of does around). Be sure to ask around before you buy scents, so you don't get ripped off!
Again, I don't claim to be an expert, I have done as I described in north-central North Carolina and in western New York for many years with a good amount of success. That is to say, Iarrow at least one deer every year and often see trophy bucks (although there is still lots of room on my walls!). Good luck!
Old 09-16-2006, 05:42 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the tips I will be sure to try these I hunt in western Conn which is not far from you, also is there really a differance between brands or are they all the same.
Thanks

Old 09-17-2006, 03:23 PM

I left one thing out...When the peak of the rut is in (probably around Nov. 15th or so) I stop rattling and start making long drawn out grunts (about 5-7 seconds).