Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Got any suggestions on this? >

Got any suggestions on this?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Got any suggestions on this?

Old 09-17-2006, 04:03 AM

Default Got any suggestions on this?

I'm really wanting to starthunting witha compound bow, but, there is a problem.I'mright handed but left eye dominant and this creates a huge problem when looking through a peep sight. I tried shooting a friends bow a while back and when I looked through the peep sight, instead of seeing the pins, I only saw the limb of the bow. I know next to nothing about compound bows and am not sure if thereis a way I could set one upto compensate this problem or if I should just stick to crossbows (which are getting boring). I've also tested out left handed bows in attempts to solve the problem, but even though it fixed the sight alignment problem,I don't think i could get over the awkwardness of it........Thanks in advance for any help!
Old 09-17-2006, 04:08 AM

Default RE: Got any suggestions on this?

Welcome to the forums

I don't have any helpful advice on the subject but I do have a link that may help.

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1432510&mpage=1&key=eye%2cdomina nce?

Good luck!
Old 09-17-2006, 04:48 AM

Thank you very much ducsauce! Like some of the guys in those posts, I have adapted a lot due to this problem. I shoot a rifle left handed if the deer will give me half a chance, I qualified at the Police Academy with my pistol left handed, but just can't get the whole shot gunning or compound bow down left handed. I think I'm just going by a right handed bow and make myself learn to shoot it. I failed to mention that I have no problem shooting a bow without sights its just when I use the sights that I have problems. Would shooting a bow without sights be an option?
Old 09-17-2006, 08:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Are you looking thru the peep with your left eye shooting right handed?
Old 09-17-2006, 08:31 AM
Boone & Crockett

Any good shooting coach will tell you this, learn to shoot the bow left handed. However, my neighbor who is in the same book as you, shoots with an eye patch over his left eye.

tkycaller asks a good question....you'll need to use your right eye with a right handed bow, either close you left eye or use an eye patch, or like mentioned, shoot left handed. I'm sure with time, you'll get it since your already shooting the rifle and handgun left handed.
Old 09-17-2006, 08:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

If you really want to use a compound this hunting season then you should try harder to compensate for your eye dominace.
Try using an eye patch over your left eye tomake your right stronger , it might work for ya if not I don't what else to tell ya other than welcome to the forums.
Good luck and have a safe season.
Old 09-17-2006, 09:55 AM

You're in a tough spot. There are really only 2 available options. Learn to shoot left handed, or take your left eye out of the equation.
Old 09-17-2006, 10:14 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks for the advice, guys. I was literally, just about to post a new thread asking this exact same question!

I just read about eye dominance yesterday and tested myself. Sure enough, I am right-handed, but left eye dominant. AndI am *really* right-handed. I can't imagine shooting a bow with my left hand. I shoot a bow fairly well, but I've always closed my left eye, because otherwise I can't aim with the peep. That's a slight disadvantage when hunting with a bow, because it limits my vision and depth perception. That means I might not see something that I woudl with both eyes open (like another deer that sees me and spooks when I draw). But I think that, for me (I am really left-hand retarded), that is better than trying to shoot left handed.

Thanks again for the advice, and especially for the link, ducsauce.
Old 09-17-2006, 12:40 PM

Tkycaller,,,,,,,,I was looking through the peep sight with my right eye. I didn't even try with my left eye but should have I guess. I'll have to try that and maybe by next season I'll be ready..........Thanks Guys!

Old 09-17-2006, 12:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Can you shoot with both eyes open? If so you may want to consider the No-Peep. It helped out my brother alot. http://www.timberline-archery.com/np.asp

Quick Reply: Got any suggestions on this?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.