Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

turkey?

Old 09-11-2006, 08:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default turkey?

this is my first year bowhunting....im mainly after deer...but our fall turkey season overlaps...so the chance is there.....we got a deer vital post...lets get a turkey one going...along with bowshots on turkeys....anyone have any sites....advice..placement etc?? a fall turkey with a bow....that would be awesome...just dont know where to shoot..heard alot of mixed opinions...ill probably use 1 1/2 inch cut mechanicals..or my muzzy 100gr 3blade heads..thanx..
Old 09-11-2006, 09:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: turkey?

When a bird is braodside, you want to shoot the wing butts. It's preferable if the arrow stays in the bird but with todays KE bows, that's usually not the case. A good wide expandable is a good choice. Of course, taking one in the head is perfect as well, a tough shot on a constantly moving target. Frontal shots should be taken dead center on the breast to the neck and from the back, part way down to spine them. With a good broad broadhead, your pretty much good to go when you get in the body cavity or head/neck.
Old 09-11-2006, 09:08 PM

I couldn't have put it better my self.
Old 09-11-2006, 09:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shot my first turkey with a bow this spring. I used a spitfire 100 grain which has a 1 1/2" cut. My bird was quartering away. I hit him just behind the wing and the arrow came out 1" to the right of the base of his beard. It was a complete passthrough. He walked about 15 yards and died.

I'd recommend a big mechanical head and aim for the center of the body.
Old 09-11-2006, 09:09 PM

The NAP Gobbler Getters are pretty sweet from what I hear, and blunt enough to send alot of that KE into the bird, knocking him down.
Old 09-11-2006, 09:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

thanx guys...ill keep that in mind...when you say "wing butt" you mean the joint where the wings connect? zip one right through there if broadside....right about where the beard starts from the front...and ive head if they are strutting to shoot right in the base of the fan....a turkey with a bow would be awesome....i love turkey hunting...the days the birds are going to cooperate someone screws up my hunt....the days noone is around the birds dont wanna play..i dont know if ill take my bow in the spring or not....id love to....but that alot of moving to do without a blind...but fall ill be up in a tree...a LITTLE easier..but harder because itll more then likely be a WHOLE flock...but if i got the opprotunity atleast now im confident in where to shoot.

hey rob......maybe we should incorperate a fall turkey contest.... gobble obble obble....

i love deer hunting(and im sure bowhunting will REALLY change me) but mannn do i loveeee hunting them turkeys. you guys will say i love turkey hunting because i get them in close..but i bet you i killed a deer with a rifle closer then most any of your bow kills. lets put it this way..if i had a bayonet i wouldnt had to shoot. it was my second deer..first deer dad was with me(i was with his friend the first time i got one) the guy that took me my first year knew me and dad wanted to be together that day but dad worked and it was the last day. after i killed it he told me i have to promise him to share that excitement and thrill with my dad. i didnt wanna back down on my promise...and wanted to get me a deer. that one got spooked and ran down a mountain and up my mountain as dad and i were coming down..i hid behind a tree..dropped to 1 knee..when it got up the mountain parrallel with me i rang out a shot. dad didnt even know what was going on and he was close then the deer lol. ive killed 10 deer and probably only 3 or 4 were out of bow range....ive always like close quarter hunting
Old 09-11-2006, 10:20 PM
Fork Horn

Hunt from a treestand, so its center of the body, and hope to pin them to the ground for me..
Old 09-11-2006, 10:41 PM
Typical Buck

Here's some turkey shots that I found somewhere. Not saying I would take all of the shots but it should give you an idea. In the pic with multiple colors I am guessing the green is good, yellow is still a kill shot, whereas the red and magenta is a no shot and marginal shot situation, respectively. Hope this helps.

Old 09-11-2006, 10:48 PM

Those are good pictures. I was going to say if they are facing away to shoot them in their lower back or almost up their butt. Thats how i killed my first turkey with a Bow.