Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Expandables not opening >

Expandables not opening

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Expandables not opening

Old 09-10-2006, 07:39 PM
Fork Horn

Default Expandables not opening

I just got a pack of three Grim Reaper Mechanicals. I shot them several times today and they do not seem to be opening up. They shoot just like a field tip but I am worried they are not doing what they are designed to do. Ialsothought maybe they were opening while going through the target but closing back up when the arrow come to a sudden stop. My cousin James (bamahuntin) is also having the same problem.Is anyone else having this problem. They are $33 for three tips so I want to bring them back if there is something wrong with them.
Old 09-10-2006, 07:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Expandables not opening

whats your dl and dw
Old 09-10-2006, 07:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Are you shooting into a target or through a target. If you are shooting into a target(braodhead is in the foam) when you pull it out they will normally always close. Shoot through a thinner target into another target or shoot something softer so you can see the exit hole.

Good Luck!
Old 09-10-2006, 08:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've stated the reason for this "phenomenon" of jacknife style mechanicals for years....they are NOT designed to work properly on a simple solid foam target.
The blade tips need to pass thru a flexible medium first before to get the blades swung out before they enter a solid object like a foam target. (i.e. Hair then flexible hide)
Simply shooting them into foam targtes will show you nothing as far as performance except POI.
The blade tips will just plow straight into the foam and once firmly imbedded they have no where to swing to and stay in that position for the remainder of the penetration. They might appear to have just begun opening by the tear but its just to late for them to get around.

Do not judge on game performance of this style mechanical head by foam targets. Thats a fact.
Old 09-10-2006, 08:14 PM

Most mechanicals will close if they pass thru the target and the arrow stops. Like if you are shooting at a piece of foam your arrow will pass partially thru. The de-acceleration of the arrow is enough to close the blades again.

Try putting a piece of paper or thin cardboard on the back of the target, heck even the front should work. Then look at the cuts in the paper to see if the blades did in fact open. I have rarely seen a mechanical fail to open on a target. And very rarely heard of them failing to open on game. The biggest complaint I hear is that they don't penitrate enough. This would simply be that you picked the wrong head for your set up. Some require more energy than others.

Paul
Old 09-10-2006, 08:24 PM
Typical Buck

I agree with Paul L Mohr I have never seen one not open, problems seem to be mostly lack of penetration and severe quartering away shots with certain brands.
Old 09-10-2006, 09:35 PM
Fork Horn

dl - 27"
dw - 60 lbs

They are passing all the way through the target and sticking out the other side.. If I manually push the arrow into the target, it will open just fine. I hope you guys are right. I would hate to shoot a deer and they not open. I will try the paper on the back side of the target tomorrow. I put a piece of paper on the front side already but it wasn't enough to open the head so it didn't do any good. They close real easy so I figured it was just the sudden stop of the arrow closing them.
Old 09-11-2006, 11:23 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: CLOUD 9, MN

Are you shooting into a target or through a target. If you are shooting into a target(braodhead is in the foam) when you pull it out they will normally always close. Shoot through a thinner target into another target or shoot something softer so you can see the exit hole.

Good Luck!
That is what i was thinking. Lots of expandibles are designed to open after first penetration. Or you need to check to make sure your bow is tunned. I have never had an expandible not open.
Old 09-11-2006, 11:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot GR's. I have killed alot of deer with them, every one was closed back up on the ground after a complete pass thru. I freaked the first time, but when the deer piled up shortly after, I assumed it was a characteristic of the GR's. Like I said, they have done it on every deer I shot. They are doom on deer.
Old 09-11-2006, 11:59 AM
Fork Horn

Why not just go with a good fixed blade broadhead and not worry about it? I'm probably not the right person to ask here as I don't trust them either. Must be some outfitters don't either because there are some who will not allow their hunters to use them.

Quick Reply: Expandables not opening

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.