Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Practicing sessions >

Practicing sessions

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Practicing sessions

Old 09-07-2006, 05:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Practicing sessions

Hey all i was just curious. do ya'll have different types of practice sessions to test out your rig for hunting situations. i switched over to shooting my broadheads today and was very pleased. i'm actually grouping just as good if not better with my broadheads than i had with fp's. i haven't been shooting groups because i don't want to have to refletch my arrowsthis close to the season.anyhow. i got out tonight and decided to see how well my peep and sights work in very low light conditions. i got out just 5-10 minutes ago, they both worked flawlessly. anyhow i'm just curious to see what all ya'll do.
Old 09-07-2006, 06:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Practicing sessions

I do it all by chance depending on when I get out. Tonight it was low light conditions, already shot broadheads, dead on, have shot from elevations, fussing all the time. Body is conditioned, bow is ready, arrows ready, stands are hung all that is left is to wash on all my hunting cloths, get the rest of the gear descented and put away and keep the muscles and mind tuned.
Old 09-07-2006, 06:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

yeah my next thing is to shoot from elevations and to get in all of my hunting clothes. i also need to get everything washed and cleaned.
Old 09-08-2006, 07:47 AM
Dominant Buck

I shot the last couple of times with my gloves on......just to make sure.

Tomorrow morning is the live run....

jeff
Old 09-08-2006, 08:06 AM

I practice any and all possible hunting situations. When it gets this close to the season(15 September for us here in Md.), you have to practice like you're hunting. That means shooting from a treestand if you plan on hunting from one. Shooting with all your hunting gear on. Using the arrows and broadheads you'll be using for hunting. If you're using a tree climber, it's a good idea to climb a tree with it and shoot from that. Try taking shoots from many different angles.It's much better to run into any unforseen problems during practice and not while you've got a monster in front of you. Another problem is shooting lanes. I can't tell you how many "I hit a limb" or "I had no shot" excuses I heard. There is no excuse for not having good shooting lanes. You may have to give up some cover, but it's well worth it. I love ceder and holly trees, and will put a stand up in or around one any time I can find one in the right set up area.

Good luck everyone
Old 09-08-2006, 09:25 AM
Fork Horn

Our sportsmans club has a broadhead league that starts the first week in August and runs to third week in Sept. (opening day Oct.1 in Mich.). We shoot cardboard cutouts of deer, turkey and bear at unknown distances that are backed by a pile of sand. You are allowed to use 8 power binocs but no range finders. Scoring on the targets are 20 ring 16 ring and 10 for a body hit. They also have elevated platforms at some stations. Yardages are 20 yds. to 37 yds.. By the time this league is over you are usually pretty tuned up and good to go. I love it when many of the 280-290 score shooters come home empty handed year after year. Sometimes they just don't realize what it takes to actually draw down on a deer.
Old 09-08-2006, 11:45 AM
Fork Horn

I shoot w/ my gloves and a face mask.... unless it's too hot.. Those are the two things that have interfeared w/ my bowhunting the most.