Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 **Keep on Practicing!!** >

**Keep on Practicing!!**

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

**Keep on Practicing!!**

Old 10-10-2004, 09:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default **Keep on Practicing!!**

This might seem obvious, but you'd be surprised at the number of bowhunters I talk to who don't shoot their bows DURING the season.......[:-]
Now is when we should be practicing constantly, even if it is just flinging a few arrows at a bag target as you head out the door.
Keep the muscles, reflexes and form in tip top shape.......It will also alert you to any changes in your gear.
Keep the confidence level in your shooting high! Don't be the guy on November 1st who has a tight 25 yard shot at the buck of a lifetime, but hasn't PRACTICED that shot since September.

Good luck and shoot straight!
Old 10-10-2004, 10:03 PM

Default RE: **Keep on Practicing!!**

you are 100% right........practice makes perfect....when it comes crunch time......if you practice you will be able make that shot that counts....good tip matt
Old 10-10-2004, 10:22 PM

I agree with you 100%. Practice is a must when it comes to bowhunting. I find practicing year round helps alot. A lot of bowhunters I know start practicing around June/July. To me this helps keeps your muscles relaxed and your aim straight.
Old 10-11-2004, 03:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

I spent 30 min last night shooting at low light, seated, standing and at odd angles. Playing around with arm position etc, just to be ready for the various shots that come up in the stand. During the season I like to shoot a few arrows every day just to keep in shape.
Old 10-11-2004, 07:03 AM

i am one of them people that hardley shoot durning the season .. but i am a 3rd shift guy and when i wake up @ 2 pm in the after noon i have to get in the woods as fast as possable so i don;t miss any deer activy well that durning the week .... but on the weekend is the only time i get to shoot when i go home for lunch ,,,, but i know what u mean shoot as much as possable to make sure u u are 100% ready ... to take your big buck !!

big al !!
Old 10-11-2004, 07:15 AM
Boone & Crockett

Great reminder Matt.
Old 10-11-2004, 07:22 AM

If you want a tip that will give you the BEST practice, carry one or two arrows in your quiver loaded with judo points. When leaving (or arriving) at your stand, take a shot or two at a leaf, clumb of grass, or anything that gives you a good focus point.

This will give you practice at different heights (if you use a climber), angles, grades, and with differing clothing. You can even use some of your 'lesser' arrows for this practice because hitting rocks and busting an arrow is possible.

Matt is absolutely right about this subject. Too many don't practice beyond checking their equipment 'before' the season begins. And at that time they're using short sleeved shirts rather than heavier hunting clothing.

Good thread, Matt.
Old 10-11-2004, 07:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Just as important. Now that we are hunting make sure you practice in your hunting clothes. Wearing a heavy sleeves make sure your string clears, if not wear your arm guard. Do you wear gloves? Practice with them on!! Also wearing a face mask makes your anchor point "feel" different.
Old 10-11-2004, 08:37 AM

Len:
That is a great tip, and something I've done as long as I can remember. Really makes the practice count since these shots may be ones you'll make for real. If you guys fletch your own arrows, it sometimes is nice to fletch your judo arrows with white and purple, or some other combination that is never found in the woods. Even with Judo points, you can have trouble finding your arrows!
Old 10-12-2004, 03:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I also do a lot of practice with my headnet gloves and jacket on. As the season goes on and the weather gets colder I shoot my bow with clothes that are suited for the weather I am hunting. You would be amazed and how differntly you shoot all bundled up for a hunt vs your T shirt and shorts.

Quick Reply: **Keep on Practicing!!**

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.