Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Electric Fence and Deer? >

Electric Fence and Deer?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Electric Fence and Deer?

Old 08-29-2006, 07:17 AM
Typical Buck

Default Electric Fence and Deer?

Has anyone ever put up an electric fence around your food plot? We have cows on our land and I was trying to figure out a way to keep them out of the deer feed, trail camera, etc. My plan was to run a 2 wire electric fence around a 5+ acre area of my creek.

Should I put some tape on the wires so the deer will see the wireand not get shocked?

Good idea or bad?
Old 08-29-2006, 07:57 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Electric Fence and Deer?

We put an electric fence around the garden at our cablin and it didn't keep the deer out.
Old 08-29-2006, 09:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt a property where the owner has different electric fenced-in areas for his horses. He rotates the horses to different areas, but the fences never stop the deer. In fact, I have put stands up on trees in the middle of a fenced in area and watched numerous deer jump the fences like they weren't even there.
Old 08-29-2006, 01:36 PM
Typical Buck

Ryan,

As far as my experience is concerned, I have horses where I have electric fence run around the exterior of my property. The fence is about 5 feet tall and the deer jump that without any problem whatsoever. I hope that this helps.
Old 08-29-2006, 01:52 PM
Typical Buck

Helps out a lot, I will be running the fence this weekend. Then perhaps I can get some pictures of deer and not just cows on my trail camera
Old 08-29-2006, 04:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I knoe someone who has an electric fence to keep deer out of the garden. True the fence alone they will jump, to keep the deer out you need to bait it with alum foil that has penut butter on it they will touch the bait and will not go near it again!
Old 08-29-2006, 05:11 PM
Typical Buck

I'm not trying to keep the deer out, I am trying to keep the cows out. I was just curious how deer react to electric fence and if they would make an effort to jump it, if they hada good food souce on the other side.
Old 08-29-2006, 05:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Last year a taxidermist friend of mine mounted a buck, with about a mile of that nylon electricfence with tinfoil in it tangled up in his rack. It was wrapped around his neck and had cut it, was all infected, real nasty. He probably would not have made it. You might want to tie some flags or something on it so the deer can see it. They will definately jump over it if they know it is there.
Old 08-29-2006, 05:52 PM

yea my uncle runs a single strand 2 foot high electric fence around his 8 acre alfapha plot, and it keeps the cattle out just fine. te deer practically live in this plot along withthe turkey. single strand is not as expensive as the double strand either.