Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
 Electric Fence on Feeders >

Electric Fence on Feeders

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Electric Fence on Feeders

Old 10-14-2003, 12:45 PM

Default Electric Fence on Feeders

We have a few cows (about 20) on our lease. The land is 200 acres and about 2/3 of it is grazeable. The cows can be fenced off to a 40 or 80, but will overgraze the smaller 40 easily. Feeders are in all the other sectors. We want to insure no problems with the land owner. We discussed installing solar fence chargers around our feeders as a deterent to the cattle. However, this may also deter the deer and we have good numbers visiting all of the feeders. We would appreciate a concensus from this group as to the potential harm/benefit of this plan. Thanks for your input. griz
Old 10-14-2003, 04:33 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Electric Fence on Feeders

I have used electric fences for years. But not as you are proposing. My experiences are that the deer will tear them up. They will keep the cattle out as long as they are hot but the deer will run thru them, jump them and get hung up ect. It' s a constant battle keeping them in good working order.
Old 10-15-2003, 11:38 AM
Spike

We build 3 wire fences around all of our feeders when they are set up where there are cattle. We usually make about a 20ft radius around the feeder. Keeps the cows out, and the deer just jump right over and eat away. I have never tried an electric fence just because I didnt want to run the deer off also.
Old 10-17-2003, 05:40 AM

We were having trouble with the cows tearing up our timers or licking the spinners and emptying the barrels so we elevated the feeders to about seven feet. Seems to have taken care of the problem.
Old 10-24-2003, 05:57 PM

3 strands of barb wire will keep the cattle out, and is no problem for the deer. In fact, if you keep a close watch on the fence, it will tell you whether does or bucks are visiting. Check the barbs for hair caught as they go through the fence, usually white belly hairs on top wires, dark hairs on bottom wires. Does will normall crawl under the bottom wire if not set too low. Bucks, because of their racks will usually jump the fence, afraid of getting hung up. Depends on their rack, buttons and small forks will follow the does.

Russ