Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Velvet bucks

Old 08-27-2006, 09:01 AM

Default Velvet bucks

Guys I have been bow hunting only for a couple years now. I have never got out in the "earlyseason" So this question may be a little dumb. If I were to get a buck in velvet that I wished to mount what kind of things must a guy keep in mind. What I mean is do I have to get him in to my local taxidermist stat or can he be froze in velvet? Do buck mounted in velvet look good? I don't want all the velvet to fall off and then his antlers are bone white. A little insight would be great guys/gals
Old 08-27-2006, 09:04 AM

Default RE: Velvet bucks

That's an interesting question actually. I have no experience, but I would think you would have to be a little more careful hauling the deer out of the woods. Once that velvet dries up, it will pretty much just fall off, so dragging him out by his horns may defeat your purpose, but I don't know.
Old 08-27-2006, 09:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

The best answer is yes get it to a taxidermist ASAP or at least talk to one ahead of time, just in case. If the the velvet is still growing you need to drain the blood and inject it. Freeze drying will also work.
Old 08-27-2006, 10:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

The velvet is pretty tough but you still but be careful with it. Since there is blood in it you must get it to a cooler soon or it will spoil.