Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 reflex  highlander or fred bear instinct? >

reflex highlander or fred bear instinct?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

reflex highlander or fred bear instinct?

Old 08-26-2006, 05:36 AM

Default reflex highlander or fred bear instinct?

looking for a good bow in the $400 area. I may bump up to the $500 range and get a fred bear code or a reflex super slam. its not altogether clear to me what extras I am gettting for the extra $100 that superslam and code sell for.

the fred bear limb angles are almost horiztontal with a 90 degree angle from the frame, im not sure it this has a purpose or if its just for looks. however they fact that fred bear has bright green metallic struts kinda erks me as it seems like it may give away your position. i can always duracoat that so its no biggie

all the frame designs of the reflex line differ drastically and seem a bit chaotic as if they are bound by rules of form rather than function, which disturbs me.

but its my understanding that hoyt makes reflex which comforts me.
mixed emotions to say the least.

the jury is still out whether i go LH or RH.

if anyone has anything good or bad to say about reflex and fred bear .

feel free
tia

Old 08-26-2006, 05:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: reflex highlander or fred bear instinct?

I own the Highlander (as do a bunch of other people on here). It is a heck of a bow for the money and should not be overlooked! When Reflex phased out their Grizzly model last year, they did something really great - they took the riser configuration of the old Hoyt UltraSport and then just renamed it "Highlander". So theoretically you are buying a $500 Hoyt UltraSport that just happens to say Reflex Highlander. Believe me... it is the best bang for the buck out of any bow. I love mine!!! [8D]

Old 08-26-2006, 06:23 AM
dws

I have 2 Reflexes, a Buckskin and Timberwolf. I like them both but the Timberwolf is much nicer. I never shot the Highlander but I've shot all the new Fred Bears and they seemed like good bows also. The owner ofthe shop sells them all but he told me if anything ever needed parts he could get Reflex parts in just a few days but Fred Bear usually takes 4 to 6 weeks to get anything in. I would suggest shooting them some more if you can, that will make your decision.
Old 08-26-2006, 08:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

i own the highlander as well. i love it. for the money it would be REALLY hard to be. sweet shooter, quiet, smooth, forgiving, etc..all the qualities youd want in a bow. i have close to 2000 shots through mine and i shoot better every day STILL. the night before last i think i finally outshot the bow. 35yds i had 3 of my shafts hairs from eachother. i dont know how much better me or the bow can do. but its a sweet little bow.

i did however draw the instinct. to me it felt the same on the draw. heck it felt like i was holding my highlander. i didnt get to shoot it...just drew it. but from what i felt on the draw if starting over id had a shoot out with the instinct and the highlander. though like dws...i dont know any fred bear "dealers"..besides cabelas, dicks sporting goods etc. but even if you cant find a reflex dealers, a hoyt dealer can certainly fix you up in times of need. heck, my cable gaurd is even stamped HOYT! i think what they do is the smartest thing ive seen from a company. their molds, designs, etc all cost time and money. why throw away last years "hot seller" throwing away the molds..and all the time and money? throw reflex stickers on it and drop the price..but they STILL sell them and make money frm them. smart thinking. i heard if you dial Reflexes number you actually call Hoyt. although the lines of the highlander seem exotic, goto hoyts website. look for "technologies" or something. they explain the "tec" riser design. the thing that bothers you most is probably the piece that comes behing the handle...thats actually supposed to distribute shock better and not send it into your hand...dont know if it works..but i know i dont feel any hand shock.....just a few things to think about.....but ultimatly what it comes down to is YOU.......shoot them both side by side if possible....thatll help you narrow things down......
Old 08-26-2006, 01:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Shoot them both and then decide.
Old 08-26-2006, 01:21 PM
Fork Horn

I shoot the fread bear instict. Very forgiving bow, and smooth. I shot it and the code, and didn't see much difference. Shoot them, and buy the one you like best.The horiztontal limbs help take out vibration, because they cancel each other out.
Old 08-26-2006, 01:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

well i shot a fred bear the other day when i went to get my bow set up, the code is absolutely awesome and the instinct, fred bear has come a long way.The guy working on my bow said he shot every bow in the store and he liked that the best (ie. mathews,diamond,bowtech,hoyt,and pse) The string that come on them though look nice but ppl tend to have problems with them.Overall great bows, no one should look over the fred bear line they truly have come a long way
Old 08-26-2006, 07:00 PM

i talked to my local archery shop about the highlander and he wasnt to hot on the cast magnesium riser.

i dont know if this is really an issue or just a pet peeve of his.

it seems to me as long as the cast magnesium doesnt break its functionaly superior to billet aluminum in terms of shock absorption. weight and noise reduction. am i wrong here?

Old 08-26-2006, 08:48 PM
Fork Horn

Find a shop that will let you shoot any bow they sell. Find one that feels good in your hand and at full draw.

Just another thing to consider...I was looking for a bow in the same price range and was seriously considering the new Fred Bear line. Then I shot a Diamond Victory and that was my bow. However it retailed $200 over my budget. I found a new 2005 model for $350. My local bow shop currently has a Bowtech Tribute demo bow completely set up for $600. If you aren't set on a '06 model, you may have some more options.
Old 08-26-2006, 10:09 PM

I had the same decision and I choose the Reflex Highlander. I couldn't be happier. The shooters at the range cannot believe that I've only been shooting for a few weeks. This bow makes me look good.

Quick Reply: reflex highlander or fred bear instinct?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.