Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 3D vs. Block/bag >

3D vs. Block/bag

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

3D vs. Block/bag

Old 08-25-2006, 06:15 PM

Default 3D vs. Block/bag

Is anyone else noticing a difference when they shoot a 3D targert vs. a bag or block. I just realized today that when Im shooting the 3D my groups are tighter and dead on. When Im shooting the block i think its harder to focus on the one little spot on the target. My groups arent as tight and they arent as accurate either. Any tips or opinions.
Old 08-25-2006, 06:25 PM

Default RE: 3D vs. Block/bag

It's funny you wrote this post this evening because I was thinking today as I was shooting on my 3D style target I tend to shoot a little worse on 3D targets.

My reasoning is I feel when shooting normal block/bag targets I focus heavily on the dots or bulleyes. This is especially true for myself when I am shooting paper.

On 3D targets, I find myself with no focus point (e.g. a dot or a bulleyes) to keep my focus. I am sure this is probably not a good trait I have developed.

So recently I have been really trying to focus on picking out an imaginery spot on the 3D target when shooting. I amtrying to hit the center of the chest cavity. I tried a milkjug lidwith a golf teeright in the center of the target but then Ithought, a deer won't have a bigdot on his chest, so why should I continue to cheat myself?

I don't know if this really help but may elicit more responses. Once again, different strokes for different folks I presume. You're probably on thecorrect side of the issue.
Old 08-25-2006, 06:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm with Bols on this one. Bag & block, I shoot better groups, to the point that I don't shoot groups so I don't destroy shafts or fletching. Maybe with the 3D I subconciously spread my groups an inch or two to avoid the damage.
Old 08-25-2006, 06:55 PM

ORIGINAL: scsohunter

Is anyone else noticing a difference when they shoot a 3D targert vs. a bag or block. I just realized today that when Im shooting the 3D my groups are tighter and dead on. When Im shooting the block i think its harder to focus on the one little spot on the target. My groups arent as tight and they arent as accurate either. Any tips or opinions.
This is only a theory, but the reason you may shoot tighter groups when you shoot at your 3D target may because your eye is focusing on a smaller spot.

When you shoot your first arrow, you aim for that arrow again if you're shooting groups. Without a larger circle surrounding that point, your eye has nothing to focus on besides that point.

On a bag target, your eye has an entire circle to focus on besides that one point.
Old 08-25-2006, 06:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well that explains my larger groups on the 3D. When I see the vanes of an arrow I've already shot I aim somewhat away from it.
Old 08-25-2006, 07:40 PM
Typical Buck

I hear what your saying scs. When I shoot at my block in the backyard, I always seem to have a "flyer" in a lot of 4 shots. It just always happens. I'm just not a fan of shooting spots and would rather shoot at 3D's.
Old 08-25-2006, 08:14 PM
Fork Horn

I agree w/ Wash Hunter... Using your fletching and noc from the first arrow makes you focus that much harder. Just like putting in golf... When I was in college I used to put into a shot class in my apartment. When it came time to focus on the cup on the green I was much more accurate if I read the green properly. It's all mental / focus.
Old 08-25-2006, 08:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

aim small miss small.....very good theory to live by IMO.....my buddy never shot anything BUT a 3d. i took my bag out and he couldnt group for beans. i didnt shoot a 3d till then. i didnt have problems killing the 3d deer. and drilled the bag. he shot the bag alot and couldnt get a group. i think the reason i didnt see any diffrence was because i picked a spot and aimed for it every time. at home i practice on my bag with 1 inch dots. next time i reface it im going with smaller dots. probably make quarter sized dots or something..something small but large enough to see at 50yds