Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Help new kid on the block >

Help new kid on the block

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Help new kid on the block

Old 07-11-2005, 10:50 AM

Default Help new kid on the block

Hello to all. New kid on the block to the forum and to Bow hunting. I have been following along reading all the feed back and am impressed with what appears to be genuine and substantiated input. NOTE It is not my intent to start a heated debate. However, I need some help.

I am looking to buy a bow. I have a 27" draw and feel good with 60 - 65 lb.. I have been looking at the Diamond, Parker and Reflex lines ( Yes I know the Diamond is the sister co. of Bow tech and Reflex is the sister co. of Hoyt ). I am in the information overload mode now.

I don't want a super $$$$$$ bow nor do I want the entry line. I guess I am looking for the all elusive perfect bow fast, silent, forgiving. I have been told to buy a good used bow ( Mathews, Bow tech Hoyt.... ) and get more for the bang for the buck (HA HA).

What are the issues to compare that are real ? Please give me something I can walk away with and be able to say his is why I made my decision. Thanks for all the help.
Old 07-11-2005, 11:04 AM

Default RE: Help new kid on the block

I was in your shoes a month ago. I racked my brain looking for the "right" bow. I looked at Parker, Diamond, and Reflex. I almost bought a Diamond, but then found a really good deal on a Reflex Super Slam. All three are good bows. I have fallen in love with my Reflex. It's fast and quiet with hardly any vibration.I don't think you can go wrong with any of your choices. Iwouldn't buy a used one unless I knew the previous owner. Good luck!
Old 07-11-2005, 02:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

All 3 of your choices are great value. If you can test them do that and that should make your mind up as to wich one to buy. Feel is everything when buying a bow. The wildest hot rod is not much good to you if you hate the feel of it.
Old 07-11-2005, 04:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

The best advice I can give you is to go out to as many shops as you need to, to test every possible bow out there and find what feels the best to you...everyone has a different sence of what is good to them, so only you will be able to tell.

I was doing the same thing over the winter. I literally went to about 5 or 6 different shops and shot every kind of bow there was to see what worked for me. In the end I settled with the PSE line because they seemed to be the quitest for me and in most cases cheaper than the other brands. So in your quest for a bow, I would highly recomend looking at PSE, along with all other bows out there...the more looking you do the happier you'll be with your final decision.
Old 07-11-2005, 10:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

If you've gotten it norrowed down to these 3 companies ,then set your price limit and choose the bow's that meet this price ,You really need to feel the bow ,because what feel's really good to me might just not suit you the same.As Terry has said you need to feel it's right for you and narrowing it down to 3 bow's ,you'll definately be able to tell which one suit's you and feel's right .Before I forget try severel model's and pic the 3 that feel the best .Good luck to you on your choice ,this is when shopping is the most fun.

nubo
Old 07-12-2005, 08:26 AM

Thank you for the feed back. I do agree I do have to shoot them and narrow it down to which fells best for me.

I haven't limited my decisions to one company or an other. Is there all that much difference in manufactures ie... Mathews, Bow ech, Hoyt, -vs- Diamond, Reflex, PSE, ......... I really want to be able to make an educated decision based on some specific criterions.

However, I really don't know what are the apples in order to compare.

Old 07-13-2005, 06:29 PM

go4damax - I feel for you. I went through the same thing earlier this year. What the others have said is great advice and I won't try to add to that. One thing I will suggest, however, is that you consider the cam options available on the different bows given your drawlength. I too have a 27 inch drawlength. As you've probably discovered by now, a bow is much more efficient if you shoot a cam where your drawlength is at the upper end of the cam's drawlength adjustability. For example, on my Buckskin, a person can choose from two cam sizes: a 25 to 27 inch and a 27 to 30 inch (in your case, you would want to order one with the shorter range). However, other bow company's only offer cams that cover a wide range of drawlengths in one cam, say 25 to 30 inches, while others offer drawlength specific cams. Keep that in mind as you test the different bows. That's not to say that you shouldn't buy a bow that only has a broad drawlength cam (where you are set at the bottom of that cam) if that bow is the most comfortable for you to shoot, but at least keep it in mind.

BTW - When I went looking for my bow, I had several criteria in mind: (i) ATA length (after trying some, I knew something in the 35 inch range is what I wanted; (ii) brace height (since I'd been out of the sport for a long, long time, I knew I'd better look for a somewhat forgiving bow); (iii) weight (who want's to lug a heavy bow around the woods all day); and (iv) market presence (I wanted a bow that I could get service on without driving 200 miles). With that criteria in mind, it really helped narrow things down.
Old 07-15-2005, 06:26 AM

Well thank you all for all the wonderful insight you have provided. Next week I will be in the Dallas/Fort Worth area and the New Cabela's store is opening as well as the Outdoor World Bass Pro Shops is having a big sale, so I plan to take advantage of being near them both.

I intend on doing a comparison of the these two bows:

Diamond Triumph by Bowtech
IBO Speed: 310 fps
Axle to Axle: 31.5"
Draw Lengths: 26-31"
Brace Height: 7.875"
Draw Weights: 50, 60, 70
Mass Weight: 3 lbs. 11 oz.
Eccentrics: Solitaire Single Cam
Let-Off: 60%/80%
Warranty: Lifetime*
M.S.R.P.: $499.00

Reflex Super Slam by Hoyt
IBO Speed: 300 FPS
Axle to Axle: 35"
Draw Lengths: 25-30"
Brace Height: 7"
Draw Weights: 50, 60, 70#
Mass Weight: 4.3 lbs.
Eccentrics: Hybrid
Let-Off: 65%/75%
Warranty: Lifetime*
M.S.R.P.: $499.00
Old 07-15-2005, 07:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Also check out the new Red Head bow made by Hoyt for Bass Pro.
Old 07-15-2005, 07:44 AM

I was under the impression that the Redhead was a Fred Bear Line. I will take a closer look at it. Thank You for you feed back.

Quick Reply: Help new kid on the block

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.