Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Tree Safety Systems >

Tree Safety Systems

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Tree Safety Systems

Old 08-21-2006, 09:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Tree Safety Systems

There are a few guys who have posted information about different styles of safety harnesses. I believe it is called something like Ez-Up or something like that. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Please post the info because I found out this morning that I will be bow hunting this year all on my own with no cell service miles from anywhere or anyone. I want to take some extra precautions.

Thanks

Tom
Old 08-21-2006, 12:01 PM

Default RE: Tree Safety Systems

I think this is what you're looking for.

Here's a link: http://deerfever.com/content.php?review.514
Old 08-21-2006, 12:03 PM
Fork Horn

I use the hunter safety system.
If you are worried about falling when entering and exiting the stand you can use a 1/2 inch rope on the tather with a sliding knot (I can tie it but don't know the name)on it. If you happen to fall the knot stops and the harness will protect you.Also make sure someone knows where you will be each day, just in case.
Old 08-21-2006, 12:09 PM
Dominant Buck

Or are you looking for this. This is for a 3 pack price for multiple locations. You can buy just one also.
http://www.summitstands.com/productDetail.aspx?id=329148
Old 08-21-2006, 12:40 PM
Dominant Buck

Thanks for the link, David. I bought this system....just last week. I'll be installing them on my loc-on locations.....tomorrow.

And yes....w/ the harness and lineman's belt....

I can't find anything easier than this system.....that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

Jeff
Old 08-21-2006, 01:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've seen someone post something on here that does the same thing as the knot but is a mechanical contraption. Anyone know what I'm refering to?

If I can't find it then I will go with the knot, but I think I'll build it myself and find out how to tie the knot from the internet.

Thanks
Tom
Old 08-21-2006, 03:14 PM
Dominant Buck

The mechanical contraptions you're talking about are climbers descenders. Mountain climbers use them. Very expensive as is the rope. You still need a rope attached up high to use going up or down. I bought one of the Summit 30 foot ropes with the Prusic knot to use as a means of escape from the tree should my climber fall. Added a couple of their descender ropes to allow me to inch down the tree. I think I'll use the 30 foot rope as an attachment to my HSS vest as I climb. That way at any point if something fails I'm already attached for a descent. When I get to my height I'll pull the rope up and stuff it in it's carry bag attached to my stand. If the stand gives way the rope will or can be paid out down to the ground. The descender ropes will allow me to put slack in the big rope and move it down as I climb down. It's probably an over kill because I rarely go above 22 feet. Usually stop somewhere between 18-22, At those heights I'd be able to use my normal prusic rope to get down to a height I could drop from safely without breaking anything, but you never know. All the way down is better than free falling the last few feet.