Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Tree Lounge Safety

Old 05-04-2004, 04:45 PM

Default Tree Lounge Safety

I recently purchased a used tree lounge (sat in it in the backyard...WOW, is this thing comfortable!!!), and am wondering about the safety harness. The only thing it was missing was the safety cable and chest harness. I am wondering if the safety cable system Tree Lounge sells is the only type that works with this climber...or if it is by far the easiest to use with this climber as opposed to a standard full-body harness?

Reason being, I am planning on buying a full-body harness to use with my hang-on's, and would like to avoid buying both if I could.

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-05-2004, 05:21 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Tree Lounge Safety

I had a Tree Lounge and bought a Summit after a few years of use. The Seat-of-the-Pants harness that came with the Summit fits nicely on the Tree Lounge. You just need a carabiner or some sort of ring to attach it. I gave the SOP harness away with the lounge when I sold it in favor of a vest style harness that would also work with the Tree Lounge.

I bought one of those stainless rings that you complete the loop with by screwing shut. It's got a 2100lb rating and holds the canvas straps nicely. I also coated it with some rubberizer to silence it.

I highly recommend a full vest over the belt style harness the Tree Lounge gives you.
Old 05-05-2004, 06:36 AM

Thanks Fritz. Actually, I am glad you recommended the vest, as I was planning on getting one. I know they are probably no more safe than the standard full-body, but they just make me feel more safe for some reason.

I appreciate your input Fritz.
Old 05-05-2004, 10:28 AM
Typical Buck

You're welcome!

The other consideration that you may want to make is to purchase a Summit tether line. This attaches you to the tree, not the Tree Lounge, so that if, by some odd chance the entire tree stand fails, you're still attached to the tree itself. It makes climbing tougher and may be some overkill, but it's just another method of assuring safety.

Good luck with it all.

Fritz
Old 05-06-2004, 08:12 AM

I use full body harness hooked to the tree when in my tree lounge. the one that comes with the tree lounge is not a good one to use. It is just a belt that goes around your waist. If you were to fall with it on, It would more than likely break your ribs and suffacutate you in about 15 -20 minutes. Get a full body one or a vest harness!

Study up on fall safety and suspension truma...
Old 05-06-2004, 08:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

The newer Treelounge treestands are unsafe..there was a post about this a few months ago concerning this. Others that replied had the same problems. TL is not going to acknowledge it has a problem at all. The Old square tubing model is fine although it is heavy and difficult to use and extremely noisy. My Tl slipped repeatedly out of certain trees on one hunt after purchasing the newTreelounge with "D" shaped tubing and the powdercoat finish. I never wore a safety belt with my old treelounge and wouldn't even consider going up a tree with the new model. If you have the newer model get a full body harness and use it.
Old 05-06-2004, 08:43 AM

Default What about the 'teeth' accesssory???

Thanks guys. I have the old one...picked it up at a garage sale for 70 bucks!!! The guy was moving and didn't want to take it along...sometimes being an 'early bird' to those things actually pays off.

I just won an auction on ebay and picked up a full-body, so I will use it both in this climber and all my others. One thing I really do like is the idea of having the climbing harness. I know there have been far too many times I have taken chances either putting steps in or the stand itself. Hopefully this will alleviate some of that risk.

Tree Lounge sells 'teeth' for both parts of the climber. Do you guys think they are worth the 15 bones apiece? Did anyone have problems with slippage on the old ones? Or maybe just feeling a tad unsafe/unstable???

Thanks again guys.
Old 05-06-2004, 09:49 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: What about the 'teeth' accesssory???

Personally, I never slipped with the old version I had. That thing pinched the tree so hard that I can't see it slipping. I've even climbed a few wet tulip trees and never had a problem. If you have them near you, you know that they're smooth and slick when wet.
Old 05-06-2004, 10:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: What about the 'teeth' accesssory???

No on this end also.. The "old" TL I had was rock solid in a tree at any height. Not sure about the teeth bar leave the Old one as is I think you'll be relatively happy with it.
Old 05-06-2004, 10:24 AM

Default accesssories

I am not 'with' my stand at the moment, hence the ?. Will a standard bow holder work on this thing, or is theirs a must?

F.Y.I.- I am putting in a pretty big order via Cabela's, and would get everything from them if possible. I don't know jack about their company, but I do know about Cabela's, and it has top notch customer service.

Thanks again guys.