Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Tree stand safety >

Tree stand safety

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Tree stand safety

Old 01-12-2006, 08:08 AM

Default Tree stand safety

I've had my stand and steps for about 11 years. I was wondering how long screw in tree steps last, do they loose strength after so many years, should they be replaced after so many years? What about aluminum stands with the seatbelt like strap that holds the stand to the tree, do the straps or cables ever break?

I was also wondering what are some causes of falls from tree stands that you have heard of or that have happened to you, i.e. steps breaking, straps breaking, stands collapsing? (Besides falling asleep) I've been thinking a lot about tree stand safety lately and was considering buying a climber because it seems they would be safer.
Old 01-12-2006, 08:27 AM
Spike

Default RE: Tree stand safety

cwenisch

If you stay with that stand I would replace those steps. The cost of some stepsvs the chance of getting hurt, get the steps.

Climbers to me seem the way to go, you dont have to have ten stands up just to play the wind right. Hang-ons can go on more trees without cutting so many limbs off just to get up the tree but I stink like the mobility.

bburen

Old 01-12-2006, 10:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I believe most accidents happen getting into or out of the stand. Getting in your will put a good amount of sideways pressure on the stand, especially if your top step is below the stand. Getting out you need to deal with two things I can think ok, slippery steps (ice if cold enough) and pivoting your foot on the step.

I always have my top step at or just above the stand platform, this way I am stepping onto the stand by stepping down and I can do it slowly to make sure the stand holds and doesn't move. Coming out, I don't have to reach for anything. It also makes that first/last step not be an "all or nothing" move.

Old 01-12-2006, 10:55 AM

That's a good tip, Bob. I have to admit I'm one of those reachers.