Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
291 lb Buck just got a lot smaller >

291 lb Buck just got a lot smaller

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

291 lb Buck just got a lot smaller

Old 11-07-2002, 06:26 AM
Fork Horn

Default 291 lb Buck just got a lot smaller

Below was the events that I posted last week about the 291 lb dressed buck that came in to the big buck contest here in Belleville, Ontario.
I was right and the scales were off by 11 lbs for each 100 lbs of weight. I had notified the President of the local fish and Game club that hosts the contest about what I saw and that the 291 lb buck did not weigh what they weigh master said it did. He told me that he had the scales checked by the company that they rent the scales from and yes they were out. That buck was a nice buck indeed and bigger than any I have ever taken. The final weight was 264.5 lbs. Nice deer and I congradulate the hunter that shot it in front of those deer hounds.

The president of the club couldn't thank me enough and said that they were having a meeting in a week and that he was bringing it up at that meeting.

Apparently there is a lot of P.O'd contestants but now at least I feel better buying a ticket for the big buck contest and knowing that the scales are now right.

Below was the account at the weigh station as it happened last week;
I'll have to pray for these guys that they become more get online and visit hunting.net to become more knowlegeable about deer and deer hunting!!

Anyone have any pictures of a 290 lbs buck hanging or anything close to that. I need to compare what I saw on the back of a pickup at a weigh station for a large buck contest. I've been deer hunting for a long time and worked around livestock too and the buck I saw was no 291. I thought about 240 to 260 lbs. Nice buck indeed.
They had another buck next to it that was about as big as the last buck I shot and I thought it weighed close to that which was 186 lbs. Well they had a tag on that one saying that it was 211 lbs.

I wouldn't have followed this up but the one guy called me a "city boy" You can call me anything but don't call me a "city boy"!!
Then the butcher said "No, He's an American." Now I was so mad I couldn't talk or think of what to say. I then told them about the buck I saw in New York State hanging in a farmers front yard that looked to me to be over 300 lbs dressed that made this buck look small and they told me that probably saw an elk or some big reindeer.
I stared at that NY buck for 10 minutes astounded at the size. They laughed at me some more and pointed to a buck on the floor and asked how much I thought it weighed. I said about 185. He pulled it up with scale and the digital read out said 218 lbs or something like it. They got another good laugh. Then they pointe at some more deer laying there and asked how much. These were spikes and some pencil racked 6 pointers like the one I shot on Monday that couldn't of weighed more than 140 lbs dressed. They laughed real hard and said that those were all 180 lbs dressed deer. I said no way!!

I asked where about he got it and he said well I can't tell you that but the butcher told me. It was just north of the 401 highway that's just east of Belleville Ontariof for about 15 mile stretch. Blessington road to be exact. Just in case anyone wanted to know.

Nothing against city boys but I'm definately not one;
it was the tone in which they said it.

Any pictures will be appreciated. You can post them here or send them to me at [email protected]

Thanks in advance

GOD BLESS
Charlie Patrick
Eastern Ontario Guided Adventures http://www3.sympatico.ca/chazpat/wildcanada.html

Edited by - droptine on 11/11/2002 08:38:41

Edited by - droptine on 11/11/2002 08:40:07

Edited by - droptine on 11/11/2002 08:47:18
Old 11-07-2002, 11:44 PM

Default RE: 291 lb Buck just got a lot smaller

So what? City boys can't hunt? I'm from the city and so far this year, I've shot 3 bucks (the biggest is a 9 point @ 195 lbs) and 4 does. I could of shot more does, but I am getting to tired of dragging deer through the swamps that I hunt. Where you are from has nothing to do with your skills. Example, I know alot of people who own expansive Mathews and my bow can tighter gropings than others

* Never shoot at the first deer you see, wait for the MONSTER that's lagging behind *
Old 11-08-2002, 05:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote> Nothing against city boys but I'm definately not one. <hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>

Seano, settle down.

I don't have any quick links to pictures, but even if I did it would be hard to tell unless all of the deer were next to each other or in the same picture. It would be hard to prove anything now anyways, because I'm sure they aren't going to re-weigh the deer just to please you. It would have been nice to the butcher weigh them.
Old 11-11-2002, 07:44 AM
Fork Horn

All is quiet on the front so far. They're going to be a lot of upset hunters who brought in their deer to get butchered too. This guy charges by the pound and he was collecting 11% more on each deer he butchered. This guy does a lot of deer too. No back lash yet.

GOD BLESS
Charlie Patrick
Eastern Ontario Guided Adventures http://www3.sympatico.ca/chazpat/wildcanada.html