Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Homemade Scent Eliminator >

Homemade Scent Eliminator

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Homemade Scent Eliminator

Old 11-13-2002, 06:34 PM

Default RE: Homemade Scent Eliminator

I just mixed it up this afternoon...I see that it says to let it sit, but I wonder if the strong smell will dissipate.

TrapperDave....do you not use water in your mixture?

Thanks!

Pat in WV
Old 11-13-2002, 06:57 PM

no but I must say I use it predominately for its skunk odor killing abilities( I own a nuisance wildlife control company and often get skunk calls-usually after they already sprayed so I dont want it diluted)

If I ain't huntin',I'm trappin',If I ain't trappin',I'm fishin'
If I ain't fishin',I'm wishin'!
Old 11-14-2002, 08:17 AM

My girlfriend and I are dog sitting this week for my sis who is in Vegas with Mom. She has a real sensitive nose and was complaining that the dog stinks. I got out my bottle of this sent killer wirehair gave the recipie for and sprayed her down. Falena said it really works and was suprised at how well.

-Chief
Old 11-14-2002, 10:13 AM

I used the recipe wirehair posted for the first time this season. It works! Instead of shampoo I used Scent Killer laundry soap and I use regular tap water instead of distilled.

Last season I used diluted baking soda in a spray bottle which works also but I would guess the peroxide helps in bacteria control.

ONE CAUTION. Baking soda is a salt and will tarnish any metal on your boots, your bow and the spring inside the pump mechanism of your spray bottle. I dab a little vegitable oil or apply camo tape on the metal bow parts to prevent rust. I also empty the spray bottle every few days and fill it with plain water. After spraying a few times, I let the water disolve any leftover salt, then I refill the bottle with the scent killer solution. Don't reprime the pump until you are about to hunt.