Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Best Scent Eliminator? >

Best Scent Eliminator?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Best Scent Eliminator?

Old 08-05-2007, 08:41 AM
Typical Buck

Default Best Scent Eliminator?

What do you think the best scent eliminator product is for (1) washing your hunting clothes and (2) using in the field on your outer layers/boots, stand, etc.?

Scent Killer? Scent Away? Dead Downwind? Somethingelse?
Old 08-05-2007, 08:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Best Scent Eliminator?

i like dead down wind myself for spraying down. i used scent killer(maybe scent away i cant remember...by HS) and it didnt seem to do as good of a job as DDW. also used White Lightning. after turning everything i own white i said enough of that!

to wash my clothes i use "sport wash" you can find at walmart..its fairly cheap...i also throw in some baking soda and usually line dry...if not i dry it all inside out..supposed to keep the UVs from the dryer on the inside...dont know if its true or whatnot but i do it lol...

the day i bought DDW i also filled the tank in the truck. sure enough i spilled some on my hands somehow. got in the truck...looked at the DDW..said we will put it to the test...couldnt smell the gasoline...which was already dry on my hand...never smelled it again. to me that was amazing. you can wash your hands all day and still smell gasoline
Old 08-05-2007, 08:49 AM

I also use the Dead Down Wind product line...seems to work fine. Of course, only the deer could tell us which product is the absolute most effective.
Old 08-05-2007, 08:55 AM

I am going to have to gowithDead Down Wind.
Old 08-05-2007, 09:37 AM
Boone & Crockett

I've never used Dead Down Wind yet, might give it a go but Scent Killer has proven very effective.

HOW you ask, I've tested it on several offensive odors around the house and it eliminated them so it has to help degrade the human ones.
Old 08-05-2007, 09:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

oh...forgot the mention...DDW is now sold in everyones favorite store...walmart. just thought id pass that on...i used to have to travel a ways to get it or order it.
Old 08-05-2007, 10:05 AM

I'm gonna stick with "WIND IN YOUR FACE". This is the best and ONLY true 100% scent killer. I know you guys back east spend a lot of time in tree stands and can't really "hunt" the wind, but experts will tell you to put up more than one stand so you CAN "hunt the wind".
A deer has 125 million olfactory cells and a human just 5 million. (IMO) They can still smell something 'fishy' in and amongst the scent blocker odors. Swirling winds, you're just screwed.
Around here it's the Elk nose we've got to worry aboutand look at how much bigger that is! And I do carry various urines and such but not to spray on me as much as to use as a wind indicator. A spritz or two and you know exactly where the wind is and you use it to your advantage. And THAT smell is traveling downwind to matbe lure the big fella in a little closer.
The one thing I am anal about is washing ALL cammo stuff in a detergent with no UV brighteners like Sport Wash. Deer may not see all of the color spectrum, but it has been proven that they can detect "brightness" variances. Like what shines off of your newly laundered clothing. All laundry detergent uses some kind of UV brightener. You know, for "Whiter Whites". What the hell is whiter than white>?!
So my advice, don't glow in the dark and keep your nose in the wind and they will never know you are there. . . 'till they feel the sting!
Old 08-05-2007, 10:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

baking soda
Old 08-05-2007, 10:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

dead down wind products are the best i've found to date
Old 08-05-2007, 01:04 PM

DDW by far! love the stuff

Quick Reply: Best Scent Eliminator?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.