Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Great afternoon hunt >

Great afternoon hunt

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Great afternoon hunt

Old 11-06-2002, 07:01 PM

Default Great afternoon hunt

Went out bowhunting today. I've been rifle hunting for 15 years, but just took up bow hunting this year. I passed up a doe today, just because Im waiting on a buck. But if I cant kill a buck before gun season, then any deer will do. Now I know the difference between bowhunting and rifle hunting. Watching that doe come in from 75 yards out and getting within 10 yards was someting else. Usually when Im gun hunting, I would have dropped her in her tracks at 75 yards, but seeing that doe that close and not having any idea i was there was the most incredible feeling. I can now see why bowhunters love their sport so much. I just wish I would have found it sooner. Thanks for all the advice in this message board, you can guarntee you will see me in the future. Hopefully with a buck story!!
Old 11-06-2002, 07:09 PM

Default RE: Great afternoon hunt

It's the most incredible feeling I know of! I know exactly how you felt as she kept coming closer. I wish you the best of luck with your buck.
Old 11-06-2002, 08:34 PM

Hey welcome to bowhunting. I have only been doing it two years and it is the best feeling ever havin that doe come in close. I had a doe come at 5 yards and look straight up at me. I sat as still as i could and about cracked a smile b/c she didnt know i was there. She was looking right at me from 5 yards and about 14ft up in the tree and she didnt know i was there. It was the best feeling. Good luck on your buck.

Forever Hunter
Old 11-06-2002, 09:35 PM

Amen brothers and sisters! LOL I had 6 deer (2 does and 4 yearlings)within 40 yards of me tonight and I took 2 shots at the does and they STILL didn't know I was there or what was going on. They just stomped around and snorted and kept looking for me but couldn't find me! Finally they meandered off into the timber. I didn't shoot anymore because I thought my bow was off. It wasn't. (see other post "HELP&quot But what a rush anyway. This is my second year hunting also. Great sport!
Old 11-07-2002, 06:23 AM

Yes,it's amazing!
How one minute you can be shivering to the bone,trying to stay alert, then it happens. As the shadows begin to fall in the woods, you hear the telltale sound of a moving whitetail. Rustling leaves, and... there's the deer! As your quarryThe shivering stops and is replaced by the almost audible thumping of your own heart. Now; if everything goes right from here, you may get a shot.

It's a RUSH! (you can't get that in a bottle)
Enjoy
Jack
Old 11-07-2002, 06:35 AM
Fork Horn

Welcome to the club,now its time for the best rush of your life pull back and shoot.

Old 11-07-2002, 07:08 AM

Welcome to bowhunting, it's definately a rush, wait until that doe is a big ol buck and then see if you can hold your bow steady enough to shoot at 15 yards. Your's is the type of post I enjoy seeing instead of all these "whining" type posts which seem to get alot of attention. I like to hear hunting stories others like to argue??