Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Very quick hunt this afternoon. >

Very quick hunt this afternoon.

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Very quick hunt this afternoon.

Old 11-08-2006, 08:34 PM
Typical Buck

Default Very quick hunt this afternoon.

I took off work a little early this afternoon so I could get some hunting in this week. The place I picked to huntis a corn field that had been cut within the last few weeks. This field is bordered by some really thick cedar thickets and a nice oak flat that was covered in acorns not too long ago. Glassing the field recently, I'd been watching this group of does come and go on a regular basis. This afternoon, I set up a ground blind on the edge of the corn field right up against a big, bushy cedar tree. The main trail the deer have been using was about 90 yards up the tree line and I figured I'd have annice sub 100 yard shot if the deer followed their normal pattern. Well, I got setup and settled in my seat around 3:15 this afternoon. My rear end hadn't even had time to warm up the seat when I heard some noise in the cedar thicket not too far behind me. I turned my head and heard it again. Well, I shifted in my seat 180 degrees and, not5 seconds later, this doe steps out into the corn field a whopping 10 yards from where I was sitting. It wasn't quite the shot I was expecting, but who am I to look a gift horse in the mouth . She pauses at the field edge foramoment, turns her head to look the otherdirection andit's thenI place a 410 great plains conical right behind the forward shoulder. She bolted 30 yardsinto the cornfield before falling out. I quickly reload, just in case,then look down at my watch; it was3:40 . The reload wasn't necessary. Theshot obliterated both lungs before impactingthe offside shoulder and making an exit wound the size of asilver dollar.Sometimes things just workout better than planned.
Old 11-08-2006, 09:14 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Very quick hunt this afternoon.

I wish I had a nickel for every time something like that happens. Congratulations on the hunt and taking a deer. Even if it did walk up and sit in your lap. Sounds like that Great Plains did a great job.

Many years ago I went out deer hunting in an area in Southern Wisconsin. I was told we should expect 300+ yard shots. I took my 7mm Mag Ruger 77 and had it sighted in for a crisp 250. As I waited behind the hay bales, a nice buck walked out of the ditch next to me not 15 feet away. I could not even see him in the scope he was so close. I finally had to let him walk off about 50 yards before blasting him.

Again, congratulations....
Old 11-08-2006, 11:09 PM
Typical Buck

Congrats on the doe. I know how you feel when they walk in close. I killed my first ML doe last season at a mere 5 yards and scared the hell out of me. The 250 grain Shockwave performed flawlessly as she dropped right there. The thing that truly amazes me is how quiet these animals are and their ability to sneak through the woods. One minute your looking around and all of a sudden they magically appear. I just can't get enough of that. When you shoot there is so much smoke you really don't know if you hit it or not so I always reload and listen as that is all you can do. Great story and good luck in the future, your spoiled now.
Old 11-08-2006, 11:46 PM

im suprised with that huge bullet and that close of shot, the deer didnt drop in its tracks. Sounds like it was a fun hunt. I went MLing in Sept. and 2 months later im getting that itch to go again lol. Feel like i never went hunting.
Old 11-09-2006, 06:17 PM
Typical Buck

im suprised with that huge bullet and that close of shot, the deer didnt drop in its tracks.
Deer are incredible creatures and never fail to amaze me. They can take an enormousamount of injury and still stay on their feet. I've had very few deerthat didn'trun at least avery short distanceafter the shot. That includes many shot with a variety of centerfirecalibers. The bullet definately did it's job making a nickel sizehole on the wayin a one the size of asilverdollar on the way out. For the 30 yards she bolted, theblood trail she leftwas justmassive, so I'm very pleased. I'm really wanting to see some longer range performance though. Hopefully, it'll be just as good.