Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How would you hunt this piece of property? >

How would you hunt this piece of property?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How would you hunt this piece of property?

Old 08-10-2006, 07:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default How would you hunt this piece of property?

So the neighbor finally decided to sell me a good chunk of his property a few months ago. This patch butts up against my fathers part of our family strip of property, and also locks anyone out from building next to my Dads house. I got 26 acres out of the deal, including all of the field to the north side of the outlined orange bedding area, that island of brush and small trees you can see in the field, all the way up to the road. I also got a strip into the woods about 50 yards in off the field.

We have been watching this sidehill for many years, and have always seen a TON of movement and rutting activity there. This bedding area is currently being used consistently by 2 nice 8 pointers, and 2 family groups of does. I also glassed a VERY nice buck there 2 weeks ago that went a solid 125-130". Last year during the last week of bow season in November, we saw multiple bucks running does out into the field. Problem is that the woods there don't have any trees large enough to put in a stand, and its soooo thick hunting off the ground will give you about a 10-15 yard shot if your lucky. lots of briars in there and young saplings 1-6" thick. I was thinking of just putting my blind in the south side of the island in the field to cover the edge of the woods (exactly 40 yards to field edge from end of island) however I know once season opens and these guys get any pressure at all they will begin to stage up inside the woods and wait till dark, making them unhuntable from the field or island.

The orange area is the bedding area. The blue line is the path they take to come out of the woods into the field to get access to the apples on the northwest side of the island. The red dots are the apples, and the pink outlined area is the island of small trees and super thick briars and cover they use to access the apples.The green outlined area is our big foodplot that they sometimes cross the road to get access to.

How would you hunt this? I have access to the woods south and to the sides of the bedding area as well, however would have to access it all from the road on the north side. How would you hunt this and what entry and exit routes would you use?

Old 08-10-2006, 08:39 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: How would you hunt this piece of property?

1st question, what are you're prevailing winds? And you did say you own this property right?

How are relations with your neighbor to the south? Is he the one that sold you the property? I'd ask him if I could park my truck there and hike in from there.

As for the thick stuff, it sounds like what I hunted alot in East Texas as a kid. Typically deer will run the edges and well worn paths through terrain like that. It may be a bit late in the year for it, but if you have capable equipment, try cutting trails through the briars for them early next spring. They'll use em.

As for this year, have you thought about tripods since there's not much in the way of huntable trees? A simple ladder stand might work too on some of the 6" trees if you can find cover. It's my understanding that the blue lines indicate the deer's usual route out of the bedding area. Depending on the wind, my first thought would be put a set up 20 yards south of the trails, between the two, and setups on either side for playing the wind. But don't hunt there unless the wind is right. Have you thought of a dugout blinds out in the field? I know it sounds corny, but they work.

I would think you're right about the island, so that may need to be reserved as a rut hot spot and new moons. Otherwise you don't want to hunt too far into their bedding area. Find where in that thicket if they are in specific locations and stay out of them. If the deer don't have a place to feel safe, they'll pack up shop and leave the property.
Old 08-10-2006, 08:44 AM
Fork Horn

My first thoughts, too, were to cut lanes or runways through the briars and place a ground blind in there. Second thought was to select several trees that would make good tree stands in the future and cut out some of the saplings around them. Third was a hay bale blind out in the field.
Brian
Old 08-10-2006, 08:51 AM
Fork Horn

Hay bales! great idea and less of a pain than the dugouts. Wish I'd thought of that....

Another thought.... hunt the travel lanes and orchardsmid day 9amto 2or 3pmand just before dark(last 1 1/2 to 2 hours of daylight)during new moons... at least that's how they run in my part of the country...
Old 08-10-2006, 09:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Davoh

1st question, what are you're prevailing winds? And you did say you own this property right?

How are relations with your neighbor to the south? Is he the one that sold you the property? I'd ask him if I could park my truck there and hike in from there.

As for the thick stuff, it sounds like what I hunted alot in East Texas as a kid. Typically deer will run the edges and well worn paths through terrain like that. It may be a bit late in the year for it, but if you have capable equipment, try cutting trails through the briars for them early next spring. They'll use em.

As for this year, have you thought about tripods since there's not much in the way of huntable trees? A simple ladder stand might work too on some of the 6" trees if you can find cover. It's my understanding that the blue lines indicate the deer's usual route out of the bedding area. Depending on the wind, my first thought would be put a set up 20 yards south of the trails, between the two, and setups on either side for playing the wind. But don't hunt there unless the wind is right. Have you thought of a dugout blinds out in the field? I know it sounds corny, but they work.

I would think you're right about the island, so that may need to be reserved as a rut hot spot and new moons. Otherwise you don't want to hunt too far into their bedding area. Find where in that thicket if they are in specific locations and stay out of them. If the deer don't have a place to feel safe, they'll pack up shop and leave the property.
Thanks for the ideas guys keep them coming. Yes, I do own the field as of last week. The neighbors on the south side I don't think would allow me to access from their patch, I would have to access anything from the north, or entering from the north and skirting from the side.

As for hunting from the field, I can put my brickhouse blind on the south side of that island in the field and cover where they come out pretty easily. I did that last spring turkey and the blind fits in there perfectly and is exactly 40 yards from the point where they enter the field. I am wondering if I should do this though, or if I should hunt inside the woods, or possibly the hollow on the west side.........

Prevailing wind heads south here. I am sure thats why they use this piece of property so much. I plan to put a stake in the ground at the edge of the woods with a piece of orange flagging tape on it so I can see wind direction from the road without messing the area up, this won't be a patch I can hunt often because of wind but occasionally it will behave with me.

Greg? Buckeye? Rob? Some of you guys that have good experience killing big bucks must have some ideas........would love to hear them.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:09 AM
Fork Horn

I would think they'd run the finger of woods to the east as well??? My 1st thoughts were mow some trails too. The hay bale idea is great. I'd put 3 right in the corner between the pink area and the apple trees.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:17 AM
Fork Horn

The double bonus of the hay bale blind is a little "romp in the hay" for hay cover scent!
Brian
Old 08-10-2006, 10:23 AM

I would set up a grund blind close to the orchard id put limbs and brush and twigs around the base and top of the pop up if you could. secondly id place another blind in the woods as close to the bedding area as possible and cut yourself a shooting lane into or close to the rim of the bedding area if you get real close to trim a lane id really dope up on scent remover and go in the mid morning and get it done as quik and quietly as possible and try not to make it noticeable to the deer that obstruction has been made to THERE area. secondly make a good clean easy exit route from the blind in the orhard to the bedding area blind then to your truck. Also it wouldnt hurt to come in every couple of days before season and clear twigs or fallen limbs from your entry and exit routes.