HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - How would you hunt this piece of property?
Old 08-10-2006, 07:50 AM
Rick James
Nontypical Buck

Default How would you hunt this piece of property?

So the neighbor finally decided to sell me a good chunk of his property a few months ago. This patch butts up against my fathers part of our family strip of property, and also locks anyone out from building next to my Dads house. I got 26 acres out of the deal, including all of the field to the north side of the outlined orange bedding area, that island of brush and small trees you can see in the field, all the way up to the road. I also got a strip into the woods about 50 yards in off the field.

We have been watching this sidehill for many years, and have always seen a TON of movement and rutting activity there. This bedding area is currently being used consistently by 2 nice 8 pointers, and 2 family groups of does. I also glassed a VERY nice buck there 2 weeks ago that went a solid 125-130". Last year during the last week of bow season in November, we saw multiple bucks running does out into the field. Problem is that the woods there don't have any trees large enough to put in a stand, and its soooo thick hunting off the ground will give you about a 10-15 yard shot if your lucky. lots of briars in there and young saplings 1-6" thick. I was thinking of just putting my blind in the south side of the island in the field to cover the edge of the woods (exactly 40 yards to field edge from end of island) however I know once season opens and these guys get any pressure at all they will begin to stage up inside the woods and wait till dark, making them unhuntable from the field or island.

The orange area is the bedding area. The blue line is the path they take to come out of the woods into the field to get access to the apples on the northwest side of the island. The red dots are the apples, and the pink outlined area is the island of small trees and super thick briars and cover they use to access the apples.The green outlined area is our big foodplot that they sometimes cross the road to get access to.

How would you hunt this? I have access to the woods south and to the sides of the bedding area as well, however would have to access it all from the road on the north side. How would you hunt this and what entry and exit routes would you use?