Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Last Time Into the Woods Before Season... >

Last Time Into the Woods Before Season...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Last Time Into the Woods Before Season...

Old 08-09-2006, 12:09 PM
Fork Horn

Default Last Time Into the Woods Before Season...

What's the latest you will go into the woods before the season...??

I am heading out on Sat. to do some Final "Tuning" of the stands and that will be it until I hunt the stand... Our season is Sept. 15th so it'll have over a month to settle...

What's everyone else's "rule of thumb"...??
Old 08-09-2006, 12:33 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Last Time Into the Woods Before Season...

GREAT question.....

I have a similar situation.....

I still have a game cam out.....and I may move it out of my Honey hole......just to see what in other places (and to keep me out of there!!). I'll also be tuning up my stands, Saturday.....for a 9/9 opener.

Jeff
Old 08-09-2006, 12:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

We open Oct. 1st so I will finish all my trimming and hanging this month and leave a month for all to calm down, although I think a couple of weeks would do it.
Old 08-09-2006, 01:11 PM
Dominant Buck

I didn't even think about one thing......I'm in there all year long to fill up my feeder (though it isnt that close to where I hunt). Plus....my land owner was in there last week to bush hog......and they were back in there, that night, on my trail cam).

We think too much!

Jeff
Old 08-09-2006, 01:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Here in Michigan we can't even put our stands up until the 1st of Sept. ( legally ) I know some people that don't wait.
After I put my stands up and do a little triming, I might go in one more time about two weeks before the season starts.
Old 08-09-2006, 01:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don't over think it. I chainsawed a few shooting lanes for a new stand last year in the afternoon and hunted it that evening. Deer came right on by without a worry in the world. I don't make a habit of that, but if a change is needed what can you do?
Old 08-09-2006, 04:41 PM
Fork Horn

It's nice to stay out for a month, but when it's hot like this it's hard not to just hang/tweek stands a couple weeks before season
Old 08-10-2006, 01:17 AM
Fork Horn

" When it's hot like this" ha ha! I find myself always going and getting things done now during the hot summer months( 100 degrees here), when I should have done most of it during early spring. After almost passing out a couple times, I always tell myself that "next year" I"m going to do most of the work in Feb/Mar, but seems like I never do. OH Well! And wife just doesn't understand what is so appealing about getting out and working at the deer lease in this weather, and she can't hardly get me to go out to the front yard and mow the grass
Old 08-10-2006, 01:22 AM

Our biggest thing about "last trip" is just not going in the day before the seasons opening. Just so as not to disturb where they may be that night.

2 or more days before I've cut windfall with a chainsaw and found frsh tracks all over the area the next day. I don't think you have to worry too much about it unless you are hunting somewhere that has VERY little, if any, human traffic.
Old 08-10-2006, 06:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

My season opens up 9/16. Yesterday I pulled one hang on and brought it home for a tune up. had to cut the lock off cause the tumblers were so corroded that they broke as soon as I put the key in. I brought it home, replaced the cusion cover, remounted the chain, replaced all the bolts, inspected the cables, brushed off the rust, and reprimed and repainted, gave her the old 3 foot bouncetest, no not dropping it, actually standing on the stand and lightly bouncing on it to make sure it will still hold my fat butt. Shes solid as a rock. Ill put her back out but on a different piece of our property since this stand isnt used very much. If it gets stolen oh well. I didnt pay much for it.