Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Critique My Form??? >

Critique My Form???

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Critique My Form???

Old 08-10-2006, 06:54 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Critique My Form???

My season starts Oct. 15.Should I go ahead anduse it thisseason or start looking?I may not have a choice in the matteranyways butwas just wondering?I started way early this season and thought I was going to be petty well prepared.What a set back.Would I even have time to adjust to a new bow?
JE
Old 08-10-2006, 07:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BamaHuntin

My season starts Oct. 15.Should I go ahead anduse it thisseason or start looking?I may not have a choice in the matteranyways butwas just wondering?I started way early this season and thought I was going to be petty well prepared.What a set back.Would I even have time to adjust to a new bow?
JE

Lot's of variables here
Can your draw length be shortened? If so how soon?
Money for the modifications or new bow?

But..... as with anyone else with a bow that fits or doesn't fit you have to determine if you can be consistant and at what distance. If you can now consistantly hit 3 inches at 30 yards but open up to 7 inches at 40 you are good with that bow this season out to about 30 yards.

That would give you the option of limiting yourself to 30 yards with your current set up or getting a new bow.
My opinion is if you bought a new bow or made the draw length modifications today you would easily be ready by 10/15.
Old 08-10-2006, 08:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would think the wingspan method would be more accurate since it takes into account your actual arms length and not how big your head is or isn't. My wingspan places my draw at 29.4", body height= 27.6". I shoot a 29" just fine, I've tried 28 & 28.5 and felt too "bunched up", 29.5 felt too long.

If you are going to try to limp by with this bow for this year (not that I'm advising that) you might consider shooting off the string (ditch the loop)and aquiring one of those new releases that have trigger placed more forward to try andfudge the draw length some. Scott and Tru-ball are selling them. The Tru-ball Xtra series look mighty good to me.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:07 AM

It looks like you will need a different bow in order to shoot properly. It's never too late to change a bow and get used to it as long as you can afford it. 3-4 weeks of practice with good form is better than 6 months of bad form.

If you can't afford a new bow now, you might be able to do a couple of the things already suggested.
1) Lower your left shoulder. That will push the bow out a little bit.
2) Ditch the D-Loop Should give you back 3/4". That thing looks long.
3) Shorten the length of your release or get a different one. It also looks like it may be riding up the back of your hand. You want the pressure to be at your wrist, not up near your knuckles. Can you tighten it up any?

Other things to try to improve your form.
-Move your peep to line up to where you feel comfortable. You shouldn't have to adjust your head or anchor point to your bow. Adjust your bow to fit you.
-Don't grab your release. Looks like you have a death grip on that thing. Relax your hand.
-Straighten your back. Whoever told you your string should contact your chest is just wacky. It will interfere with your clothing.

Keep us informed.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:54 AM
Fork Horn

I guess I will go this season with it.Few more questions though:
I shoot fairly good with it.I would say that I get my groups in at about 2-3 inches at 20yds.Every now and then though I'm not as consistent as i'd like to be.I have a 3D target and I never hit out of the vitals even up to 40yds.But I would never take a shot past 25.
The Bow I have is the Reflex Grizzly.It shows that my draw length is set at 27".Is their another way to shorten it?If so,I will go ahead and have it done.
How do I measure my draw lenght by using my wingspan?I just want to see what I come up with.
If I ditch the D-loop,do I have to use a different type of release?Should I go ahead and try the Tru Ball?
The heigth of my peep seems ok.But when I draw back with my eyes closed and open them,it's like I have to twist my wrist( Bow) to get it to my eye.
After I quit shooting with the string up against my chest my groups have gotten much tighter and more consistent.I'm really happy with that move.
Sure is tough finding out my bow is not fit forme when I went and got fitted for it.About 2 weeks ago I dumped a good bit of money on all new accesories.If I new then what I know now I would have bought the correct bow.The same day I bought the accesories is when I had my form checked and it was supposedly a-ok.
Thanks for all the help fellas.
JE

Old 08-10-2006, 10:42 AM

Glad to hear that improvements have been made. I know I've said this more than once but are your inner cams down all the way? The bow may say its on 27" on the sticker but then again look what the shop told ya.

I found my old Hoyt manual. The allen screw in the green (inner cam) can be removed and you can rotate the cam in the "+" or "-" direction. You should go "-" or toward the letter "F" and find a hole that the allen screw will go to and re-tighten. Repeat this with the bottom cam and make sure both are in the same position.

Before you attempt this. Locate your manual and verify. It should be in there. Then again the sticker may be correct. Just trying to help.
Old 08-10-2006, 11:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Most releases will shoot off the string, just use an eliminator button between the string & arrow nock to keep it from pinching the nock at full draw.
Wingspan- (somebody correct me ifI screw this up) -with your arms stretched out place your hands & chestagainst a wall (give it a big-ole hug) and measure the distance from on hands finger tip to the other.
I never read exactly which fingers to use, index or middle- soI measure both ways- didn't make a big hill of beans difference (both still put me over 29") probably easier to use another person for this. I measured solo by placing one finger tip to the edge of a light switch cover plate and then kept in touch with the wall on the opposite hand long enough to mark it for measuringit with two free hands.

Not sure what's going on with the peep.

Try the tru-ball if you have money laying around, Basspro has it on sale right now (on-line).

Good luck with it.
Old 08-10-2006, 05:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

personally, i'd go to the shop that sold you the incorrect fitting bow and demand they make it right. If they refuse, post the name of the shop all over the internet, write to the local newspaper, or if they have a public range, shoot there and complain constantly very loudly that the bow just isnt shooting great and they wont help at all. You have to stand up for yourself, and being a new archer, they knew it and took advantage of you to get the sale. I would be willing to BET that they would have had to of ordered the bow for your draw, and just wanted to move one now.
Old 08-10-2006, 06:33 PM

ORIGINAL: Rack-attack

I can't believe all the advice here .......

Nobody shoot a bow the same. Look at all sports that have form as one of the main things that control how well the athelete performs and you'll see a lot of difference.

Michael Jordan shot the ball very differently than, say, Kevin Garnett does. Both are very good
Tiger Woods and Phil Mickelson have different golf swings- both are very good

As long as you're shooting the same way every time your arrows will go the same place everytime. I mean, you're shooting a machine - draw it back, hold it, put the pin where you want the arrow to go, and squeeze the trigger. Compounds are built to be shot very accurately.
You are simply wrong..........

Tiger and phil may have different swings BUT.......

Both there swings have certain characteristics and basic correct form and balance that are the same.

JE is shooting a bow that does not fit him....................not even close..........

He will NEVER shoot that bow very well, and its a shame it was sold to him.

Draw length is the MOST important fit between an archer and a bow - Its gotta be right.
I have to agree with Rack .
In one reply Bamahuntin said his groups were not consitant and in another
reply said that he was able to get the string off his chest and that helped tighten up his group but raised thepoi.
So As Far as i can see and have seen in the past, BamaHuntin is getting some verygood advice and it will continue for those that could use it!
MrBill
Old 08-10-2006, 06:45 PM

ORIGINAL: BamaHuntin

The heigth of my peep seems ok.But when I draw back with my eyes closed and open them,it's like I have to twist my wrist( Bow) to get it to my eye.
That's because your DLength is too long. The string is being anchored "beside" your face instead of in front of your face/eye.

Quick Reply: Critique My Form???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.