Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Critique My Form??? >

Critique My Form???

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Critique My Form???

Old 08-08-2006, 10:57 PM
Fork Horn

Default Critique My Form???

I thought i'd never post a pic of myself in my form for everyone one to tell me how bad it looks but now i'm getting desperate. I'm very new to bowhunting and I'm sure my form is all kinds of out of wack.
I read in a book to draw your bow back with your eyes closed and you should line up with your peep. When I open my eyes I have to readjust my release anchor. It looks like my bow string is crooked or something.After I move my release anchor itlines up.
After looking at the pics my back looks like it's bent back but when I try to straighten it out it feels awkward. If it is wrong how do I fix it?
I also heard that the string should be touching my chest as an anchor. Is this right? Feels right but it also feels like it makes me bend my back more or something.
The first two pics are my normal form that i've been using and the third pic is when I closed my eyes and opened them to the form that does'nt seem toline up with me but it feels more natural.
If you needany more pics I'm sure I can get the wife to snap some more if need be.
Thanks,
JE

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a82/Camaro4LifeSS/Bowpics001.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a82/Camaro4LifeSS/Bowpics002.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a82/Camaro4LifeSS/Bowpics003.jpg
Old 08-08-2006, 11:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Critique My Form???

I wonder how many people are going to open this thread thinking they're gonna see a bunch of pics of that cute blonde who goes by bama huntress or something? [8D]

You really need Rick James to come along and dissect these, but...

I would personally say that in your second pic it looks like your bow arm is way too low. I know you may be aiming at something low out in front of you, but the key there is to keep your arm up and bend at the waist...

I would also say you may be up to 1/2" short on your draw length, judging from where the end of your arrow shaft falls in relation to your eye. Of course, that may change a bit once you raise your bow arm.

You also seem to be leaning way back; try to keep your upper torso in line with your lower. There's probably a reason for it... Rick would probably know, as he's had a bunch of coaching and professional lessons, I think.

Anyway... there's a start!

Old 08-09-2006, 12:33 AM

I agree with Greg/MO
it looks like you're leaning way too far back?
Old 08-09-2006, 01:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Greg / MO

I wonder how many people are going to open this thread thinking they're gonna see a bunch of pics of that cute blonde who goes by bama huntress or something? [8D]
Uhm,would we do that? (I's guilty[8D])
Old 08-09-2006, 03:48 AM

do you hit the same spot evertime ? if so ..... who gives a flip about how your form looks !
Old 08-09-2006, 04:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

hehehe I was thinking the same excact thing, too funny.

Old 08-09-2006, 04:56 AM

the very first thing i would do if i were you is practice pushing my left shoulder down as soon as i had the bow drawn. this one very act will encourage your body to straighten up. push that shoulder down and your left arm will naturally extend out instead of wanting to go left - straightening your bow up. the bow will be farther away from you, and that will allow you to straighten your body up. those are the very first things i'd work on anyway. then, aim with your shoulders instead of moving your bow arm up and down.
Old 08-09-2006, 06:56 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the replies.I'll try those things when I get home and see how they affect it.
My groups are'nt that bad but they are'nt that good either.Not as consistent as i'd like neither.Plus I figure since i'm so new I'd like to perfect my form as best as I can rather than pick up some bad habits and get used to shooting with them.If anybody else has anything to share feel free to post.I'd also like to hear what you think Rick James.
Thanks,
JE
Old 08-09-2006, 07:01 AM

You are about TWO inches to long on your draw..........

You need to shorten that bow up.........

Shorten the drawlength 2 inches then repost pictures.........

I can't even adress the other issues untill you atleast get close to your correct drawlength.
Old 08-09-2006, 07:07 AM

Dude, you are a mess.

my bow string is crooked
I also heard that the string should be touching my chest as an anchor
my back looks like it's bent back but when I try to straighten it out it feels awkward. If it is wrong how do I fix it?
I am kidding, sort of. I HIGHLY suggest going to a pro-shop for a lesson or attending a local 3-d shoot in your area (I am sure there is one close to you this coming weekend!) and ask one of the higher scoring guys for a little in person help. Most guys will definitely take the time to help a new guy.

My suggestion would be to do either of those things as soon as possible as the more you practice your "bad habits" the harder it will be to break them.

One last, but very importantthing ... that bow is to long for you by over an inch. One of the reasons you are leaning WAY back like that and your natural anchor point is probably not that far back. It's almost like some one sized you up for that draw length based on you shooting from the string and then you put a loop on. I HIGHLY suggest going to a pro-shop ASAP!!!! You'll be amazed at how a little in person instruction and a properly fitting bow will help everything!

I guess Rack Attack and I we writing at the same time! Shorten that draw length!

Quick Reply: Critique My Form???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.