Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Youth Bowhunter

Old 08-07-2006, 09:43 PM
Fork Horn

Default Youth Bowhunter

My son just turned 11. He is very interested in learning the art of bowhunting. I am not a bow hunter. My question is: What age is good for them to start?
Old 08-07-2006, 10:03 PM

Default RE: Youth Bowhunter

Both of my kids started at about 7. My son is now almost 13 and shoots awesome groups. My daughter is almost 9 and she is doing really good too! If he is interested go for it!!
Old 08-08-2006, 06:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

My son is seven and is getting a bow this year...start them now and they will be laying them in there in a few years.
Old 08-08-2006, 07:14 AM
Fork Horn

Good question... I believe your son isold enough to get into archery. When I was a kid I did some shooting with my dad in the back field, but he was never a bow hunter. I enjoyed the time with him regardless. He taught me safety and form.Now bowhunting and archery are different. If you are not a hunter yourself, you may want to find a family friend or uncle or someone to help teach the ways of the woods. I've been at this for a long time and am still learning new stuff about deer hunting every time I go out. Learning to shoot a bow is fun and easy, something you can both do with a simple recurve at 1st and have fun togerther. Thehunting part is different, lifetimes of knowledge, hints, tips, tecniques, etc. need to be learned. Time in the woods is the best way to learn about the actual hunting part. Good luck, and have fun.
Old 08-08-2006, 09:32 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks everyone for the good advice. Yes, I am a hunter. I've been a hunter all my life and have hunted alot of different game, just not with a bow. I will be taking Bow Hunting Saftey Class with my son this Fall. What brand of bow would be a good starter bow?
Old 08-08-2006, 11:16 PM

PSE makesexcellent youth bows, as well as Browning.
Old 08-09-2006, 12:00 AM

i am14 and i love my browning microadrenaline there are to types a 30 lb to 40lb adjustment and a 40 lb to 50lb adjustment it is a great bow very smooth and powerful for its size