Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Need opinions... >

Need opinions...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Need opinions...

Old 07-22-2006, 07:46 AM

Default Need opinions...

I asked for advice on this a week ago but didn't get many replies so I'll ask again and hopefully get some good advice.
I am going to purchase a new front sight and have noticed alot of them have a light to brighten the tru-glow pins. I have always used tru-glow sights and have never had trouble seeing a deer. What is the advantage of the light and how/when would you use it.

Old 07-22-2006, 07:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Need opinions...

If you ever plan on sitting in a blacked out blind and your target is expected to be in bright sun light, that's one time that a light would be helpful! In general, not many hunting situeations, other than that one, that you would need extra bright pins!
Old 07-22-2006, 07:53 AM
Fork Horn

With the new fiber optic sights that are out anymore a front light isn't really needed at all. Also they are not legel in some states such as PA I do beleive.

Trytan
Old 07-22-2006, 08:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with the others. There are plenty of sights out that are bright enough that I light is not needed. In fact, except for the blind situation, they can be detrimental. When it gets drak enough that you THINK you need a light to see your pins they can make them so bright that you can't see anything beyond the pin. Like having a light shined into your eyes.

Another thing I've found is that many of them use small, very expensive batteries. Try dishing out $3 each for batteries and most lights use about 3 of them. They don't last long if left on, and if you need to reach to turn the light on it's just extra movement that game can pick up on.

The other part is that if you get a good sight with extended or wrapped fibers it's usually long after ethical or legal hunting hours till you can't see those pins.

A big help is often to use a larger peep, if you use one, that allows more light through to your eyes.