Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Does it really Advance our Sport??? >

Does it really Advance our Sport???

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Does it really Advance our Sport???

Old 07-18-2006, 07:41 AM

Default RE: Does it really Advance our Sport???

The sooner that the WHA goes away, the better. It neither helps nor promotes the sport of bowhunting.
Old 07-19-2006, 11:38 AM
Nix

ORIGINAL: HAZCON7

Good points Nix, although I'm on the fence about those numbers.

To me, the passion speaks louder than the numbers.And if all we get is 0.69-to-1 recruited of passionate hunters,like we have here on this forum, then I think our future looks great! That is, as long as we preserve the heritage, pass along our knowledge to qualified candidates,and continue to emphasize the morals, values, and ethics widely displayed in this forum.

<Upon further review of the play... Edited to remove unnecessary ramblings>
I understand what you are saying but the numbers really are staggering....I looked further into the decline in hunters annually and specifically the youth recruitment.

The best source of information I found was this study called "Factors Related to Hunting and Fishing Participation Among the Nation's Youth"

Here is the link: http://www.ihea.com/documents/YouthFactorsPhaseI.pdf

There are several graphs that caught my eye on this study but one figure really did on page 56....

It says that there was a -26%change (decline)in Teens (age 12-17) that went hunting from 1990 - 2000. If I am reading this correctly thats about 700,000 less teens that went hunting in 2000 compared to 1990.

The average hunter spends about $2k per year on hunting so in other words we lost about $1,400,000,000 in the industry.

Imno statistician by any means but as I keep reading this study I have to admit I am very concerned with the trends...
Old 07-19-2006, 11:43 AM
Nix

ORIGINAL: StumpJ

The sooner that the WHA goes away, the better. It neither helps nor promotes the sport of bowhunting.
I think attention and awareness helps the sport. If the WHA does both its up to the industry to make it work in their favor... Fighting will hurt the industry. I just think that there already has been increased awareness and attention that can be spun in a good light if done properly. I dont have the answers, but I just think that there is an opportunity with all the recent publicity and buzz.
Old 07-19-2006, 04:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I dont have the answers, but I just think that there is an opportunity with all the recent publicity and buzz.
Again, nice points Nix. I would just keep in mind that the data in those studies nearly alwaysfavor the opinion of the writer, in order to either prove their point of view or garnish favor for their cause. An author would be crazy to publish data that would contradict their cause. Not necessarily saying that is the case here but it is veryhard to be unbiased as a writer.
I will definately grant you that I am probably not worried enough yet about preservation and recruitment - but I think somewhere in there is a happy medium.

To go along with your statement above, I don't have the answers either. But I think that the wholesale rejection of this WHA is already producing fantastic publicity for the hunting community. I think we are showing that we aren't the crazy armed hillbillies some believe us to be and I think a new image of the whole outdoor loving hunter/naturalist package could benefit even more if the WHA is publicly shot down in flames.
Old 07-19-2006, 06:07 PM

Without reading all the replies, I will say this.

There are far too many folks killing deer these days that have never had a bag of corn break on them and have to dig it out of their shirt. They've never had to pull their truck out of a mudhole. They've never been to the rifle range to sight in their own gun. They've never sat at the base of a tree for hours on end in freezing temps to only see nothing. Build their own blind and find "the" perfect spot to put it? Not hardly.The success of their hunt is based "soley" onwhether they shot the biggestdeer.

The list goes on and on. It's a real shame that many of these people will never know all of the things that really make it fun.
Old 07-19-2006, 06:38 PM

World
Hunting
A$$es
"and thats all I have to say about that"
Old 07-19-2006, 07:26 PM

Recruiting kids for political purposes is messed up.Today's kids don't need to be exploited or used. They need help - serious help.

The stats vary, but 24-32% of our school kids apparently require some form of behavior medication (Ritilin, Prozac, etc.) in order to get through the school day.

The overwhelming majority ofthe kidsare unaware of the phases of the moon, the wildlife near their home or what their food even is (let alone where itcomes from).

A significant percentage of today's kids have no father in the home. Of those who do, only a small percentage have a father who is employed, drug free and actively involved in their lives. For those of you who are doing your best for your children - YOU GUYS ARE HEROES, whether your kids grow up to be hunters or not.

I could go on, butif we're going to talk about kids, let talk about kids.If we're going to talk about the future of hunting, that future is not in recruitment of more hunters. The future of hunting depends, more than anything else, on the welfare of wildlife. Protect, conserve, restoreand wisely manage wildlife andhabitat. Do that and the future of hunting will be secure. If we don't do that,nothing else will matter.
Old 07-19-2006, 10:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wish I had started hunting when I was kid. I'm 47 and picked up a bow 3 yrs ago. Never used a guide,learned how to gut my first deer by myself cuz noone would come out to help on a cold rainy Sunday night. Learned how to butcher the deer from a man who knew and did the last two myself (not cuz I couldn't afford it I could it just seemed easier to me?). I'm trying to get my son interested, he's shot a turkey at the club and sometimes seems interested, other times not so much. He seems to want things to work and be succesful right away (nintendo generation). He's 15 and learning to drive(scary). Got him a bow when he was 12,but since learning to use it would take alot of practice it fell to the side. I'm hoping he wants to go gunhunting for deer this year,I don't gunhunt but his godfather does and we would go together. Found out 2 weeks ago he's a crack shot with a 357,or maybe it was just luck. Anyway the point is we need to get the kids involved at the grassroots level,and I see that on this site all the time talking about our kids. They need to experience the outdoors and love it like we do. That way the ranks of hunters will grow naturally with all the passed down ethics and morals that it deserves.Thanks for listening(or reading as it were)
Old 07-20-2006, 12:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I couldn't agree more Andy and Abuelo.
The next generation of hunters will either be:
A) Ethical Moral and Appreciative because of the individual values another hunter has instilled
or
B) Eager to sling arrows/bullets just to kill something because they saw it on TV and thought it was cool

So I Ask Again ...
How will this all advance our sport???
Old 07-20-2006, 01:17 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: HAZCON7
So I Ask Again ...
How will this all advance our sport???
To be brief, It wont.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.