Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 WalMart stuff vs Proshop stuff? >

WalMart stuff vs Proshop stuff?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

WalMart stuff vs Proshop stuff?

Old 07-16-2006, 07:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: WalMart stuff vs Proshop stuff?

An obscene amount of Walmarts employees are on government assistance (food stamps & health insurance)Who do you think picks up the tab for wally world?
Glad someone finally pointed that out!

Wal-Mart is #1 again! But this accolade isn’t something to celebrate. The Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel reports this week that Wal-Mart tops the list of companies with employees on Badger Care, the Wisconsin’s tax-supported health care program for the working poor.
[blockquote]The biggest employer of BadgerCare recipients was Wal-Mart, which had 809 of its employees and 443 of employee dependents enrolled in the state program in April. Providing health care for those 1,252 people costs Wisconsin about $2.7 million a year; Wal-Mart turned a profit of $10.3 billion in 2004.[/blockquote]
And last week, the Associated Press reported details in New Hampshire of the number of employees who benefit from two state run health insurance programs, Medicaid and Healthy Kids Silver. For both programs, Wal-Mart was the employer with the most workers receiving benefits, a total of 487 employees.
Previously, Wal-Mart has topped the list in several other state studies of employees and their dependents on public assistance including Alabama, Arkansas, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Iowa, Tennessee, Washington and West Virginia.
Anyone else want to ask the question "why get mad at Walmart"?

Go educate yourself a bit!
http://www.alternet.org/story/22210/%3Cbr%20/%3E?comments=view&cID=10290&pID=10116

If you don't think they sell inferior products , or rejects , go pick yourself up a cheap Stealthcam at wally world and then compare it to the Stealthcamsthey sell in a proshop or major sporting goods chain. It's not just the packaging that's different (cheaper) it's the entire product.
You can lay down 3 "Muzzy" broadheads from wally world (un-packaged) and 3 Muzzy broadheads from a proshop and I'll tell you which ones came from wally world.

Old 07-16-2006, 11:58 PM

the way wal-mart runs, is they buy the cheapest stuff possible to bring the price down for you and still make a profit. Sometimes the cheap stuff is the same, but sometimes, it isn't.
Old 07-17-2006, 12:58 AM

Like any store out there, you have to know your product and shop around.

Walmart products aren't always cheaper.

Pro Shops, Cabela's, BassPro, etc, products aren't always better
(especially "store named" products)

The store that buys the more of aproduct get's to sell them for less, or makes a bigger profit.

Cheap junk can be bought anywhere, even a Pro Shop.

Now, when it comes to Walmart.

1.Yes, they sell some cheaper quality stuff. They will even have cheap stuff made just to save money. (so does every other major store)Go to Home Depot and see the difference between a "Handyman Grade" tool and a "Contractor Grade" one. Also, if you were to buy in bulk, you'd save money also. (How much for a 12 pack arrow vanes and how much for a 100 pack when you compare the cost per piece)

2.Muzzies are Muzzies. Walmart sells them for less because either:
A. they are running them on a lower profit margin
(whick they will do on a product in order to get you in the store)
(even been know to do a 0% profit on items to do that)
B. they bought more of them in total from the company so bulk pricing
comes to play.
C. the other companies have a higher minimum profit margin on the product
(Dick's and Gander Mtn especially, seem to always have full prices)
(and other than a few short pre/post season sales don't discount)

The main thing is that a company they buy from will do what it takes to make a sale. Some may lessen the specs for a product and/or make a cheaper version of one. Some may give a bigger price break for bulk. Some may have to do nothing at all.

It's a good bet that Muzzy does NOT lessen their specs on their heads and Walmart is just cutting profit margins. And the reason I think so is because I am sure that Muzzy does not NEED Walmart for their sales and Walmart doesn't have the market power in broadhead sales to force them to do it.
It is too specialized a product that Walmart sells very little of, and doesn't even sell thru all of their stores, and Muzzy has all of the other venues to sell to. (Dick's, Gander, Bass Pro, Cabela's, Any and every Pro Shop and online store)

One of the things that get's me to Walmart for hunting and fishing stuff is that, when the season is over, everything is on clearance sale and needs to be sold to make room for the new products. Muzzy 3 packs go from $17 down to $9 and maybe down to $5, just so they can get rid of them.
The other thing is, if you need something at the last minute, late at night, on Sunday night, on a holiday, while on the way to a trip, etc, Walmart will probably be open while the others are closed.

Old 07-17-2006, 06:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Hey Wally world bashers. How much in tax does Wally world pay a year, total? I mean everything! How about the employees, do they pay for the privilege to qualify for assistants? I guess they would be better off unemployed or on welfare.

Bought 30 Broad heads last year for 50 bucks. I can't tell the difference between them and the ones I paid 35 for 6. How is it I could buy that American made product there anyways!

I love Wally world and shop there all the time along with most of the rest of the area. An American success story. Proves anyone can do it!

I wonder if there has been a study done on the effects of Walmart haters and their health. Has to be detrimental. That report would most likely never see the light of day like some other issues.
Old 07-17-2006, 06:53 AM

I just emailed this thread to my biology instructor.... he's an avid naturalist, outdoor type, gun owner, AND Walmart hater.......

Thanks for a great thread!!!
Old 07-17-2006, 03:28 PM
Typical Buck

Old 07-23-2006, 09:25 AM

Hey nodog,
Sure WalMart pays taxes. But so did all the small businesses that they put out of business! And those small business owners spent their profits in the communities they served. They also spread wealth bymaking SB owners of their children, grandchildren, etc. And, of course, let's not forget the hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of dollars in tax incentives that local governments pay for the priveledge of having a "Supercenter" built. Those incentives are partially paid by the same SB owners that were put out of business. I believe Bentonsville, Arkansas is an alien landing sight! (That was a joke, so no rebuttals, please!)
Old 07-23-2006, 10:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

I buy my boxers at K-mart.
Old 07-23-2006, 04:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Just sat in the local coffee /book shop last night and guess what i found to read, a book about Sam Walton. One of the reasons Wally world has never gone union and that is the whole issue with this whole thing and has been for decadesis because the employees are given part ownership in walmarts/sam's clubs. Their benefits are enormous as long as walmarts stocks do well.

Here's another reason I find the thing such a bore. The merchants and labor as far as the consumer is concerned are exactly the same. They both are in it for what ever they can get the consumer to pay and in many cases it's pay or else. For them to solicitthehelp of the consumernow I find extremely insulting. I've never heard any labor negotiations ever concerned with the cost of goods and services, just what they can get and hold onto and force others to live by. A town close by is very union and they strong arm everybody who isn't. They have the nerve to tell me not to shop there. As if they have earned any respect.

There's an ice cream store in town that's seen 23 others come and go because they have the same philosophy asWalmarts. I suppose I should boycott them too for driving all the otherSB's and chain stores out of town.Even if Walmart tried to compete with them they wouldn't have a chance, wonder why? Hmmm.
Old 07-24-2006, 09:46 AM

Did you buy the book, or just leaf through it? The big picture is so vast that I would be doing this forum a disservice trying to explain it here. The bottom line is that Walmart seduces manufacturers (big and small) with promises of large-volume sales, then they renegotiate each year until the manufacturers can barely break even. Then the manufacturers must either reduce quality (to reduce cost) or give up the contracts. Then Walmart contracts with overseas companies. You may thinkthat you don't have to worry about this business practice, but your children and grandchildren will! As for labor unions, trust me, everyone benefits from either being in a union, or threatening to join one!

Quick Reply: WalMart stuff vs Proshop stuff?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.