Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Arrow deflection fixed vs. mech's >

Arrow deflection fixed vs. mech's

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Arrow deflection fixed vs. mech's

Old 11-02-2002, 05:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Arrow deflection fixed vs. mech's

You know readin another thread is causing me to rethink mechanicals, the doe I took yesterday I took with a spitfire, it did catch the shoulder blade a little, but deflected up and shattered a vertabrae right above the shoulderblade. I would be very interested to see if anyone else is experienceing these deflections and if they are strictly with mechanicals or if there are deflections with fixed heads also.

The Tazman aka Martin Price
Founder and President of
Virginia Disabled Outdoorsmen Club
Old 11-02-2002, 06:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Arrow deflection fixed vs. mech's

Tazman,
I took a "cowhorn" spike 2 weeks ago that was a pretty good size buck. The arrow blew through both shoulders and was stickin 6" in the ground. This deer was shot at 19 yards, Beman 340 ICS Hunter, a 100 grain Thunderhead, 74 lbs draw weight. I was amazed, this deer just dropped, kicked its back legs a few times and then expired. I don't know if a mechanical would have done this. I would like to try mechanicals, but when I can get my fixed blade heads to fly as good as I did this season, I just can't make myself try them.
Old 11-02-2002, 07:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think it is easy to blame the broadhead when there are so many other contributing factors to the equation. Shot angle, bones hit, bow out of tune, arrows out of spine... etc. etc. If you hit the edge of the shoulder blade, the arrow is probably going to deflect with a fixed blade or a mechanical. The grizzly I shot spring of 2001 was with a fixed blade head, and we are almost certain, can't be 100%, that the arrow deflected off a rib, and went up into his shoulder rather than breaking through. We watched the video over and over and from the reaction of the bear, angle of the shot and how the bear reacted, we could tell that it did not enter the vitals. If I had used a mechanical head (illegal but for topics sake...), I could easily blame the shot on the mechanical. I think with a better fixed blade head I could of had better results. I was using Cabela's super lazer pro mags, and switched to muzzy's after this. There were other factors that didn't help the situation, but the arrow hit right where I was aiming.
From this and other situations that I've read about, I would say there are good and bad quality broadheads out there, be it fixed blade or mechanicals. An arrow will deflect off of items like branches and leaves, so why wouldn't it deflect off bone? I think the spitfire is a very good head, and wouldn't doubt its abilities if used right. It sounds like the head held up, and did the job. After deflecting, it still was able to shatter bone?

ArcticBowMan's Hunting Photo's
Old 11-02-2002, 07:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

Good points ABM, all valid, I will be able to do a better total analysis once I start boning this deer out. That way I can tell exactly where the tip caught the shoulderblade, I undersatnd what your saying and the way a deers shoulder blade is I could understand it deflecting no matter what type of broadhead was used, what got me thinking about this was someone else stated they had hit a deer behind the shoulder and the arrow blew through its rear. In regards to hole size and hemoraging the spitfire did it's job.

The Tazman aka Martin Price
Founder and President of
Virginia Disabled Outdoorsmen Club
Old 11-03-2002, 07:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have done some tests with fresh deer hide and a rib cage a while back. I used a Muzzy 3 blade 100 grn, rocky revolution, and a spitfire. The muzzy and revolution had no skipping or deflection on the shots I took. The spitfire had some, showing anywhere from 1 to 3" of "sliding" on the hide before sticking. the angles were very steep, and the deflection wasn't all that much, but it was present, so it is something to consider if you use that peticular head.

TAKE YOUR KIDS HUNTING AND YOU WON'T BE HUNTING FOR YOUR KIDS
Old 11-03-2002, 08:15 AM

I shot a spike once with a Thunderhead 125.The deer was alert and spun on the shot.The arrow hit the shoulder blade on the left side, deflected,went through the guts and exited in the ham on the far side.The arrow hung up by the fletchings in the deer.Along the way it took out the liver and the femoral artery.The deer did'nt go far.So strange things sometimes happen.VAhuntr, I agree about the thunderheads.They do penetrate well.If I ever go after elk that would be my choice.The only reason I got away from them was I had several rib cage shots where the arrow exited midway on the deer and because the cut was so streamlined I did'nt get a good blood trail.When I skinned the deer all you could see where the 3 slits and a small hole where the ferrule and arrow went threw.I once shot a doe a little far back ,hit the liver with a mid chest exit.She jumped at the shot,looked at her side ,then casually walked off.I thought I had missed until I saw the arrow sticking in the ground covered in blood.She walked in a big cirlce and went out of sight.I only found a few drops of blood,then nothing.I found her about 100 yds away dropped dead.I hunt in some really thick nasty woods.A 100 yd blood trail can be a nightmare,by yourself at night fighting briars and 6' rattlesnakes looking for drops of blood.Nothing against the thunderheads,they did they're job,I decided to try some mechanicals to get a wider cut and more tissue damage.On the smallish deer we hunt penetration was never an issue.My blood trails became alot shorter,many of the deer I have killed have gone down in sight.The only deer I have lost with mechanicals was a bad shot on my part.Artic bowman I agree when things go wrong we look for answers.Sometimes we blame our equipment when we should just look in the mirror.The couple of deer I have lost in 20 years of bowhunting wrer my fault,pure and simple.When I learned to take good high percentage shots at un alarmed deer,I haven't lost a deer since.Now I have had some wild times trailing deer,but i've already rambled on too long.Congrats,Taz.Welcome to the brotherhood .

Billy

WHACKEM N STACKEM