Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 I think I may have messed up! >

I think I may have messed up!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I think I may have messed up!

Old 07-02-2006, 09:54 PM

Default I think I may have messed up!

I was at Sportsman's Warehouse yesterday. I brought my 05 Patriot into the store to ask for some advice. I got a new string loop, I had the gentleman help me paper tune my bow and I had him chrono my bow. The bow chronoed at 296.5 FPS. He said it was SO SLOW because I have a large peep on my bow string AND why do I still have those worthless string and limb silencers?
So like a dumby, I took his advice (because everybody wants 300 FPS and he said he couldn't remove the silencers in the store) and went home and removed the limb silencers and string silencers (with a razor blade). The bow does SEEM to hit a bit harder but the noise level and vibration level went up noticeably.
Did I screw up big? I can almost see the deer, elk and bear jumping the string this coming fall.
Arethereexcellent after market string and limb silencers I should consider?
If so, I'd honestly prefer a type that don't require a bow press to install.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Hollow Point
Old 07-03-2006, 06:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: I think I may have messed up!

Yep you sure did
I don't think that was a good idea I mean your shooting a 296 any way, Thats fast enough to pass thru the vitals.
I'm sure there is some type of string silencher out that you can put on yourself and put some limb savers back on.
Don't worry about feeling dumb or anything like that, We all learn from the mistakes we make.
Old 07-03-2006, 07:35 AM
Banned

Your bow was fast and quiet; now it is fast and loud.I kept the factory string silencers on my new Tribute and silenced it even more by putting rubber cat whiskers on the string. Now it is whisper quiet. 61# bow, 29'' draw and arrow, 400 Beeman ICS Hunter carbonarrow; 271 fps. Rubber cat whiskers grace my Trykon too. They really work.HCH. P.S. That guy at the pro shop was an idiot.
Old 07-03-2006, 08:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

I agree with the above, you traded noise for a few fps which meant nothing. At 296 with those string silencers, put them back in.
Old 07-03-2006, 09:55 AM

Thanks for verifying what I pretty much knew.

Now that I will be installing some type of limb and string silencers to right my wrong.

Surely, there must besilencers even more effectivethrough the aftermarket than what Bowtech puts on from the factory?

I see there are Sims ultra string leeches for string silencing and Sims ultra limb savers for limb silencing available. If they aren't any better than what I had originally I couldjust call Bowtech and order the new style they used on the Tribute?

What do you think?

Hollow Point

Old 07-03-2006, 09:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

296 and quiet? It doesn't get much better than that. I'd definitely put the limb savers and silencers back on and be happy with 296.

Don't feel bad about tinkering during the summertime. That's what July is for.
Old 07-03-2006, 10:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

because everybody wants 300 FPS
I think I just heard a low flying plane going by. Right over my head.
Old 07-03-2006, 10:38 AM

296 "so slow" Ha, ha, ha. I shoot in the low 200's. Most would be pretty darn happy with sort of speed.

I don't know that I would go back to that store again and let them touch your bow. They are giving you advice about equipment to use and they can't even remove string silencers? Doesn't sound right to me.

And as far as limb savers being worthless? I would have to GREATLY dissagree with that. Porbably one of the best archery inovations ever created. They work, period. Even if they don't reduce the noise, which they don't on most of my bows, they do soak up left over energy in the limbs. They have a pretty decent effect on recoil after the shot if you have a bow that has any. I don't beleive I would own a bow without them. I even put them on my bowtech that came with a simular device. And they do not slow down the bow at all. That is just BS all together. If you can put something on your bow that will help it last longer and it costs you nothing in performance why would you not do it?

As far as string silencers, sure they may slow your bow down a few fps, but they do make it quieter and also help your string life because it takes the vibration out of it after the shot. Even my target bows get string selincers. I use the cheap yarn puff ball ones though. They look a little dorky, but man do they work, and they work for ever pretty much.

As far as the peep goes, sure it will probably be faster without it, and most likely quieter if you have a peep with tubing on it. However the question is can you shoot well without one? I hunt without a peep, but I shoot fairly well without one and practice alot. What good does having a faster bow (and not fast enough that you will percieve the difference) do you if it is loud and you can't hit what you aim at? NONE, that's how much. Not to mention the lack of confidence you have in the set up and you haven't even hunted with it yet. Confidence plays a huge role in archery and hunting. If you can't trust your equipment I doubt you will do very well in the field.

Put the bow back the way you had it and be damn happy with that speed. If anything I would suggest using heavier arrows and slowing it down some. It will have more down range energy and it will be better for the bow in the long run. Might even be quieter yet as well. Or turn your poundage down some so it is easier to shoot.

Find a good shop with a bow press that can re-install some string silencers for you. And don't let others tell you what you should do with your bow. If you like the way it is set up then that is fine. It is your bow after all. As long as it works well for you and it is safe. The only time I would suggest something like that to someone is if it effected the tuning and they couldn't shoot it well or it was a dangerous situation.

Had he said that to me I would have laughed at him most likely.

Paul
Old 07-03-2006, 10:54 AM

Yes, that's all true. What wasI thinking?

Now it's down to aftermarket silencers (SIMS) or Bowtech stock components?

Old 07-03-2006, 11:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

In all seriousness, I don't think the store did anything wrong. He probably just made it clear that your big peep, string and limb silencers WERE slowing your bow down - which is true. Obviously, you're gonna get a little more noise and vibration now that they're 86'ed. You should have known that. Don't shoot the messenger.

Truth be known, if you're good at what you do, that extra noise won't be a factor. People have been killing big deer with loud bows for a long time. A deer isn't going to dodge your arrow inside 25 yards unless he's already busted or winded you, no matter how loud your bow is.

Quick Reply: I think I may have messed up!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.