Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Bowhunting small game ? >

Bowhunting small game ?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bowhunting small game ?

Old 06-04-2006, 08:07 PM

Default Bowhunting small game ?

My son and I are wanting to hunt squirrels and groundhogs this summer w/ our bows. I've killed squirrels before w/ adder points, but I'm thinking blunts would work better. I looked at the Montec SGH's, but I just refuse to pay @20 for 3. Any of ya'll bowhunted small game, and if so, what did you use? I would think blunts would be the way to go, but wanted opinions from any of the experts first.
Old 06-05-2006, 12:50 AM
Spike

Default RE: Bowhunting small game ?

I won't claim to be an expert ...but I have used the judos and blunts. Either works, but I like the judos myself. If you do go with the blunts, I would recommend going to the next size lighter grain weight than you are used to shooting...say 85 grains if you normally shoot 100 grains. For me, the blunts dropped faster than my regular arrows...maybe due to air drag on the larger tip...I don't know for sure...But the 85 grain blunts flew just like my 100 grain field tips.
Old 06-05-2006, 01:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

I used Judos as well with great success on rabbits, groundhogs, grouse and ringnecks. The is also what's called a Grasshopper, it's the spring like on the judo that you can added behind your field points so they don't dig into the ground on misses or passthrus.
Old 06-05-2006, 05:48 AM
Dominant Buck

I wish you luck on anything you ecide to use. Shooting the small game is a lot of fun. I hope you'll post some pics after a few of your hunts. Good luck!
Old 06-05-2006, 07:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

For tree rats up in the trees, I like rubber Bludgeons mounted on fluflus. I've had too many Judos get stuck in the bark 20-30' up. Bludgeons won't get stuck. On the ground, Judos are my favorite.

Anything bigger than cottontails and squirrels though, they get broadheads. Can't beat Bear Razorheads for raccoons, coyotes, foxes, jackrabbits, pheasant, ducks, geese.... I've also used Zwickey Eskimos and Magnus II's. You can buy the Magnus inscrew-in version, but you have to buy screw-in adaptors for the Zwickeys. $20 a dozen for the broadheads though....Makes paying that kind of money forMontecs look more than a little stupid, doesn't it.

Nothing better than Snaro heads for quail and mourning dove.
Old 06-05-2006, 11:45 AM

You have a lot of excess time if you shoot doves w/ a bow. LOL
Old 06-05-2006, 04:28 PM

I was thinking of the bludgeons myself. One question......Lets say I miss the tree rat (doubtful, but possible... [&:][8D]) and smack the tree square. Is that going to destroy my arrow?
Old 06-05-2006, 04:58 PM
Banned

I like judos..I shoot squirrels, rabbits, and birds in my yard all the time with them
Old 06-05-2006, 06:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

I learned the hard way that using blunts is better than adder , fleid & yes even broardhead's DUH !
When I started hunting squirrels with my bow, I didn't know better using broadheads sliced those critter's in half.
Not to mention getting your arrow stuck in the tree when I missed.
Now when I hunt squirrels I'll use blunts.