Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Are drop aways needed for hunting setups? >

Are drop aways needed for hunting setups?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Are drop aways needed for hunting setups?

Old 06-04-2006, 08:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Are drop aways needed for hunting setups?

I need to know if I need a drop away for hunting or do you think a whisker bisquit will work? I shot a TM Hunter for years and am curious as to what your hunting setups are.
Old 06-04-2006, 08:27 PM

Default RE: Are drop aways needed for hunting setups?

Either one will work very well. The nice thing w/ drops is there is NO fletching contact at all. Less arrow drag and increased speed, but not much. The WB is a darn fine rest as well. If you do a lot of spot and stalk hunting, it's prolly the better choice. The downside, you loose a couple feet per second, but not much, maybe 1-3. Either one is an excellent choice.
Old 06-04-2006, 08:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

No spot and stalk. All tree stand hunting for me.
I prefer quiteness to speed as I restict my shots to 30 yds or less.
Are the drops quite or do they clang?
Old 06-04-2006, 10:25 PM

Having never used a DA, my judgement may be a little off, but I would imagine that in the 'down' position, the arrow may be more likely to move/fall/make noise against the riser. one thing that I like about the WB is the fact the arrow is pretty much 'locked' in place.

1-3 fps? who'd even notice?
Old 06-04-2006, 10:32 PM

A good quality version of any of the three (Dropaway, WB or prong) rests works just fine for hunting.

I have liked my VBG dropaway rests as they give full containment until you're at full draw and then dropaway after the shot.

I'm also considering giving the WB a shot too though.

Go figure!
Old 06-04-2006, 11:01 PM
Spike

Both are great hunting rests, it just depends on your preference.

The WB is tremendously simple...but does slow your arrow about 5 fps or so, and makes a little noise as the fletching passes through.

On drop aways, I have tried the Rip-cord and the QAD Ultra-Rest. Both lock in the up position, so your arrow is enclosed, like the WB. A drop away is great for accuracy, as no fletching contacts the rest (if it is set up properly) as mobowhuntr said. They do make a noise when they fall...some worse than others. The QAD seems to be the quietest of the two...but I do wish QAD would make one that is totally silent [&o]... However, I haven't had a deer yet jump at the noise, even at 10 yards. I don't think the sound travels very far, as I can not hear it on my brothers bow (also a QAD) unless I am standing right beside him. If you are unsure if you can tolerate the noise, I'd so go to a pro shop and play around with a few. I did this before I bought my QAD. I tried out the Trophy Ridge Drop Zone in the shop, and thought it was horrlby noisy...

Either way, you will have made a good choice.
Old 06-04-2006, 11:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I realy like the Rip Cord, I also own anduse the Trophy Taker. For hunting though I like being able to lock the prong in the up position on the rip cord forspot and stalk.
Old 06-05-2006, 02:06 AM
Boone & Crockett

Are drop aways needed? No, think about all the animals taken with a bow prior to the invention of drop aways including your own. I've never used a drop away until this years bows. I'm really impressed with them and I think they add a lot to the possibilities for hunting. Like was mentioned above, no fletch clearance problems and you can go as big or as extreme helicaled/offsets as you like to obtain the best arrow flight for fixed blade heads or mechanicals alike. I've always love the Bodoodle line especially the PRO and PRO Lite seires but seeing they were "out of business"/"bought out" and obtaining one was going to be a problem, I decided to go with my first drop away. I chose the new Trophy Taker Pronghorn and so far, I'm very impressed.

I've never used a WB because I have reservations about them. Being brought up on the theory that the least fletch arrow/fletch contact the better the WB throws that out the window by having constant arrow/fletch contact until the arrow leaves the bow just doesn't cut well with me. I understand the concept of equal contact which will guide the arrow out of the bow however, I just have some reservations. Many have used the WB with great success however.
Old 06-05-2006, 04:34 PM

No. I'm afraid to count the number of different rests I have tried on my bows. Honestly none have shot any better than a properly set up $20 TM prong rest. Some were actually worse.

Paul
Old 06-05-2006, 04:39 PM

Paul, I agree with you. Those TM style rests are pretty good. My complaint with them, the prongs file down from use and eventually your arrow drops between the prongs. I was constantly changing the shrink tubing and putting new prongs on them.

Quick Reply: Are drop aways needed for hunting setups?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.