Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Salt licks?

Old 05-26-2006, 03:36 PM

Default Salt licks?

I currently have a couple of salt licks on the farm I am hunting. I have never used them before and have not seen any results yet. Will a salt lick be enough for a deer to alter his feeding pattern to visit daily?? Any ideas on salt or supplements would be appreciated
Old 05-26-2006, 03:38 PM

Default RE: Salt licks?

Will he alter his feeding pattern? No. He'll go where the food is. Deer know what they need and when they need it. Now is the time of year when they hit mineral licks hard and heavy. Does are nursing and bucks are growing antlers. By the time deer season gets here, they aren't hitting them as much. That's not to say you couldn't catch one there, though.
Old 05-26-2006, 03:58 PM

They work both ways ,I used them to make the deer move though an area or bench I use,but they can and have destroyed one of my best stands what happens is they hangout to much and eat all the browes in one year the place was to open to give them to security in the day light.
Old 05-26-2006, 04:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I never had alot of luck with plain salt. I would buy a Trace Mineral 50lb. block. They were a rust color. I'm pretty sure the farmers in the area used them for cattle. The deer would destroy them from late winter thru mid to late summer. When I was bow hunting I had only 2 deer over many years stop at the lick. They would walk right past them showing no interest. Obviously their diet had changed. I would love to put a couple out now, with my Cuddeback on them. It is against the law in my area to havea bait of any kind out.