Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Bowhunting girlfriend/wife...good or bad idea? >

Bowhunting girlfriend/wife...good or bad idea?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bowhunting girlfriend/wife...good or bad idea?

Old 05-24-2006, 02:15 PM
Spike

Default Bowhunting girlfriend/wife...good or bad idea?

Ok everyone, what is you opinion on getting a wife or girlfriend into bowhunting...or trying to get one that already is into the sport (or any form of hunting for that matter). I thought it would be a great idea...but some of my friends have warned me against it. Any opinions out there?
Old 05-24-2006, 02:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bowhunting girlfriend/wife...good or bad idea?

I am currently trying to get my wife into it. I've got her into shooting bows, now I am trying to get her out hunting. I think it would be awesome to share an obsession. How could she complain when she gets to come on all the adventures?! At least, that is my hope
Old 05-24-2006, 02:21 PM

My GF comes from a hunting background (thank goodness). She has went hunting with me a couple of times. I would love to get her into archery but I don't think she would be willing to give it much of a shot. I also think that she would not be patient enough to sit along with me on those slow days. She would probably start breaking sticks or something to keep herself busy.

Like I said, she came from a hunting background but she just hasn't done much of it herself.

I don't see anything wrong with getting a GF/wife into hunting if she is interested. Unless you are afraid of her showing you up.
Old 05-24-2006, 02:23 PM
Spike

My friends told me it is great...at first. But when the kids come along, as they seem to do, suddenly you are stuck home watching the kids (at least until they are old enough to hunt), while she is out hunting all the time. Apparently this happened to someone my friends know. I didn't think this was much of an issue though...besides that's what grandma's are for isn't it?
Old 05-24-2006, 02:33 PM

I would say it depends on why you hunt and how well you get along with your wife or girlfriend.

I taught my girlfiend to shoot a bow and don't regret it. She has no desire to hunt though, which is ok with me. But if she wanted to I would be for it. I thought about taking her woodchuck hunting since she likes shooting my 17HMR.

I showed my ex wife how to shoot a handgun and got her a nice browning buckmark. I didn't regret that either. We used to go to a gun club with her sister and husband every month and shoot. It was sort of fun.

Paul
Old 05-24-2006, 02:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sure would be nice on those slow days! he he he....
Old 05-24-2006, 02:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

I dated a girl who wanted to hunt once. It was cool at first, I'd take her out and let her blast squirrels. She was helpless, and you had to sit with her. It escalated to her wanting to deer hunt. It didn't take long for the novelty of that to wear off. We went out for about 3 months, I couldn't stand it anymore, so she got the axe.

My friend was totally enamored with this chick b/c she was hot and liked to hunt, so I sorta fixed her up with him while I was in the process of breaking up with her (what are friends for, ya know?). A gift that keeps on giving... LOL I know.. I warned him. Twice.

To make a long story short, he married this girl about 8 months later, and she cost him a bloody TON of money. She had to have her own bows, guns, quad, treestand, truck, you name it.She was a real Tom Boy, and wanted to do guy stuff (no girls could stand her). She HAD to do everything he did - skeets, competitive archery, long range benchrest, ATV stuff, recurve.The high-heeled boots and open-toes turned into Rocky Boots and camo slippers. The visits to the tanning bet stopped. 5'7" 112# turned into 5'7 135#. It was a downward spiral. Everytime I saw her, she looked worse. Halter tops turned to flannel.

Fouryears, one kid and an expensive boobjob later, she pitched him out in lieu of a more excitingmodel. She got to keep half of the guns and, yep, you guessed it. She kept half of HIS guns and the good pickup. So, now he's stuck at his folks house getting pounded with child supportwith a beatup Chevy and a bunch of girl-sized rifles/bows and .20 gauge shotguns, while Mr. New Boobs is running around in the mountains with my buddy's favorite .300 magnum and driving his '03 Chevy Dually.

I'm gonna vote "No" on the hunting girl. That's not to say that every girl who hunts is bad news. That's not the case at all. It depends on the girl, but NEVER date/marry a girl just because she likes hunting. This chick was a loony, so I'm probably biased b/c I got to witness a bad experience.

Women should be judged on a case-by-case basis. Personally, I'd shy away from it, just because hunting is my time away.
Old 05-24-2006, 02:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

My wife, when I met her was card carying member of both Sierra Club and PETA, and now she just beat me last night in Techno-hunt. She took her first deer three years ago with me and is obsessed almost as bad as I am with hunting/fishing. It was definitely one of the best thing for our relationship because it gives us great opportunities to spend time together, doing something that we both enjoy. I've heard plenty of horror stories as well, but I think that it greatly depends on the girl/guy. I had told my wife up front as soon as we started dating that what I enjoyed most were hunting and fishing and that if this thing is going to work, she would have to understand that I have certain commitments (namely opening days of various sorts) that were not negotiable! It's been wonderful though and it continues to be...she just surprised me with a goose hunt she booked for this fall!
Old 05-24-2006, 03:03 PM
Spike

Everyone's responses have been awsome so far...I didn't think this post would make it...I'm impressed. Thanks everyone so far...I think I should have made this one a poll.
Old 05-24-2006, 03:17 PM

My husband and I both work full time jobs, we enjoy the time we get to spend out on the weekends hunting together without the kids.

Quick Reply: Bowhunting girlfriend/wife...good or bad idea?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.