Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Bowhunting girlfriend/wife...good or bad idea? >

Bowhunting girlfriend/wife...good or bad idea?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Old 05-24-2006, 03:26 PM

Default RE: Bowhunting girlfriend/wife...good or bad idea?

I wouldn't mind target shooting with my wife, but hunting is a time dedicated for alone time or time with the boys. I'd be ticked if one of my friends brought his wife hunting with us. I don't want to have to watch what I say when I'm out with the guys. I think it's healthy to have some time apart/personaltimein a relationship.
Old 05-24-2006, 03:33 PM
Fork Horn

Me and my girlfriend play lots of competetive softball together over the summerand love it.She isn't the outdoor woods type but i am trying my best to talk her into getting in a stand with.
Old 05-24-2006, 03:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't think you should bowhunt your wife or your girlfriend. Unless they are in season of course.
Personally i'd stick with the deer and call it a day
Old 05-24-2006, 04:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

I think it would be kinda cool as long as she didn't start telling you what ,where & when to do this or that.
besides if the hunting goes slow the two of youmight think of something else to do when your out in the woods.
Old 05-24-2006, 04:23 PM

ORIGINAL: quiksilver

I dated a girl who wanted to hunt once. It was cool at first, I'd take her out and let her blast squirrels. She was helpless, and you had to sit with her. It escalated to her wanting to deer hunt. It didn't take long for the novelty of that to wear off. We went out for about 3 months, I couldn't stand it anymore, so she got the axe.

My friend was totally enamored with this chick b/c she was hot and liked to hunt, so I sorta fixed her up with him while I was in the process of breaking up with her (what are friends for, ya know?). A gift that keeps on giving... LOL I know.. I warned him. Twice.

To make a long story short, he married this girl about 8 months later, and she cost him a bloody TON of money. She had to have her own bows, guns, quad, treestand, truck, you name it.She was a real Tom Boy, and wanted to do guy stuff (no girls could stand her). She HAD to do everything he did - skeets, competitive archery, long range benchrest, ATV stuff, recurve.The high-heeled boots and open-toes turned into Rocky Boots and camo slippers. The visits to the tanning bet stopped. 5'7" 112# turned into 5'7 135#. It was a downward spiral. Everytime I saw her, she looked worse. Halter tops turned to flannel.

Fouryears, one kid and an expensive boobjob later, she pitched him out in lieu of a more excitingmodel. She got to keep half of the guns and, yep, you guessed it. She kept half of HIS guns and the good pickup. So, now he's stuck at his folks house getting pounded with child supportwith a beatup Chevy and a bunch of girl-sized rifles/bows and .20 gauge shotguns, while Mr. New Boobs is running around in the mountains with my buddy's favorite .300 magnum and driving his '03 Chevy Dually.

I'm gonna vote "No" on the hunting girl. That's not to say that every girl who hunts is bad news. That's not the case at all. It depends on the girl, but NEVER date/marry a girl just because she likes hunting. This chick was a loony, so I'm probably biased b/c I got to witness a bad experience.

Women should be judged on a case-by-case basis. Personally, I'd shy away from it, just because hunting is my time away.
Thats terrible!![:'(]
Old 05-24-2006, 04:23 PM
Banned

My wife ,Hoytgirl,bowhunts and shoots varmint rifles with me. We spent our honeymoon elk hunting in the wilderness with our archery equipment. We do 3D shoots together and have a blast. I am lucky; most girls that are pretty are high maintenance and won't do this. We are going to New Foundland next year moose, caribou, and bear hunting. We are getting ready to go to South Dakota pdog hunting in june. Wouldn't trade it for the world. I hunt whitetail non stop in the fall by myself most of the time as she can't get away like I can so I do what I want and hunt when I want. We bowhunt turkeys together and she is sure fun to have in the Double Bull when the birds aren't cooperating
Old 05-24-2006, 04:46 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: hardcorehunter

My wife ,Hoytgirl,bowhunts and shoots varmint rifles with me. We spent our honeymoon elk hunting in the wilderness with our archery equipment. We do 3D shoots together and have a blast. I am lucky; most girls that are pretty are high maintenance and won't do this. We are going to New Foundland next year moose, caribou, and bear hunting. We are getting ready to go to South Dakota pdog hunting in june. Wouldn't trade it for the world. I hunt whitetail non stop in the fall by myself most of the time as she can't get away like I can so I do what I want and hunt when I want. We bowhunt turkeys together and she is sure fun to have in the Double Bull when the birds aren't cooperating
Ok, Now I'm just jealous.
Old 05-24-2006, 04:48 PM

ORIGINAL: cwenisch

I wouldn't mind target shooting with my wife, but hunting is a time dedicated for alone time or time with the boys. I'd be ticked if one of my friends brought his wife hunting with us. I don't want to have to watch what I say when I'm out with the guys. I think it's healthy to have some time apart/personaltimein a relationship.
It depends on many things... Can your wife really hunt. Is she okay pulling her own weight.. Is she cool just being one of the guys. I never hunted before hardcore and I got together.. but, have always felt more comfortable hanging with the guys than the girls.. girls can be soooooo boring and petty... and helpless. If you saw me you would probably think I am High Maintenancebut, I am not. I can pull my own weight. I LOVE hunting... there is nothing else like it in this world.. I would do it evey day if I could. When hardcore and I go hunting, I PULL my own weight, carry my own stuff, do what it takes... A huge plus to having your wife/girl friend hunt with you, if she can hack it, is hangin out with your best pal, plus not it mention the plus's s if things are slow... she can service you, if you know what I mean
Old 05-24-2006, 05:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

I would have to say getting any family involved with Hunting is only GOOD no matter the outcome! I enjoy taking the boy in the woods more than anything in the world!!!!!!!!
Old 05-24-2006, 05:14 PM

My Wife is my best friend. She dove hunts with me and It truly adds a wonderful demention to it. She is also a clasical guitarist and tours alot durring the other seasons. When she is able she gose with me, although she dosen't care to hunt. She loves to camp and fish and play her guitar I can tell you how many friends we've made when other hunters stop by the camp to listen. (We have a very large coffee pot now) We each have our alone time too. I love to take my bow and just go out alone or with my daughter, but my wife is my best friend.

Quick Reply: Bowhunting girlfriend/wife...good or bad idea?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.